Transmission Shift Normal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jrl2019R

Reaction score
2019 80,000 miles. Serviced, no issues. Fluids look good...but, low speed if I start to take off and slow or step on brake down shift just about snaps neck. Slow speed , let off gas and wow shift feels like an old stall converter. But rarely and intermittent does it do this. Just the computer trying to find a gear at low speed or? Does great at full power etc. Transmission Temps are normal, fluid clean. Need a trannny service? Transmission gonna fall out? Or just a Gen 2? Thanks, you all are priceless for info!

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Any mods? Start with an adaptive transmission reset. The transmission learns driving behavior, which can result in some undesirable characteristics over time, especially on used vehicles with new owners. You’ll just need ForScan and a compatible OBD adapter like OBDLink.

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
2019 80,000 miles. Serviced, no issues. Fluids look good...but, low speed if I start to take off and slow or step on brake down shift just about snaps neck. Slow speed , let off gas and wow shift feels like an old stall converter. But rarely and intermittent does it do this. Just the computer trying to find a gear at low speed or? Does great at full power etc. Transmission Temps are normal, fluid clean. Need a trannny service? Transmission gonna fall out? Or just a Gen 2? Thanks, you all are priceless for info!
You drive differently than who you bought it used from. The trans is calculating on the previous owner.

TampaRaptor82

Reaction score
2019 with 66K miles and I've owned it for 2 years. Have been seeing a similar situation. Only I'm getting the hesitation / gear searching when the engine is cold and during the first 3 min or so of driving. After that it sorts itself out so I figured it just needs more time to warm up. In sport mode you better be ready to go because I've noticed if you don't keep a steady lead foot in sport mode and keep accelerating, then it snaps around and holds the revs for a looong time. Letting off the throttle mid acceleration in sport mode sends it into a fit.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
2019 with 66K miles and I've owned it for 2 years. Have been seeing a similar situation. Only I'm getting the hesitation / gear searching when the engine is cold and during the first 3 min or so of driving. After that it sorts itself out so I figured it just needs more time to warm up. In sport mode you better be ready to go because I've noticed if you don't keep a steady lead foot in sport mode and keep accelerating, then it snaps around and holds the revs for a looong time. Letting off the throttle mid acceleration in sport mode sends it into a fit.
Normal operation, the transmission fluid is more viscous when cold. These transmissions use Ultra Low Viscosity (ULV) fluid are designed to perform ideally at operating temperature. Hence why they have both a transmission fluid warmer and cooler. Putting it in sport mode is about the worst thing you can do to a cold powertrain, give it a few minutes to warm up!

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So, you want the truck to perform cold the same as it does hot? That is unrealistic. I let mine run a couple minutes before I take off when hot!
If you want the fix, Cobb access port using the canned, Sport TCM tune. Fixes everything!!
Goose can hook you up.

hingedthinker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
same as NewRec. I got the Cobb/Goose Tune with Accessport to fix the transmission clunkiness issue. The Ford dealership told me it was OK, normal.... ROFL>>>> NOT. All the 10 speeds I've owned from Ford have similar behavior... the F350, and the Lincoln too....