2-3 shift flare

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
jdm_sixtwo

jdm_sixtwo

11MPG is average, right?
Reaction score
When i put the Sonax rebuild kit in my valvebody, I didn't replace the solenoids. When the lockup converter started acting up, I talked to my friend at a local transmission shop that I had bought parts off for years. He said the real problem is having steel valves in an aluminum valvebody. They wear the aluminum and cause pressure problems. This is probably what they're talking about when they mention clearance issues in the last sentence of the article.
"Sometimes it may be more than one solenoid causing shift complaints or even a clearance issue inside of the transmission"
I hope the solenoids fix your problem. But if you start having issues with other shift points, it's probably the clearance issue.
Hmm. Ok so now I have an alternate option. Can you link the kit you used, and did you install it yourself? Did it require the trucks strategy code to be reprogrammed? Because that’s what I’m really trying to avoid.

Guardrail

Reaction score
I think this was the kit. https://www.sonnax.com/parts/3052-zip-kit
I did it like 8 years ago. I installed it myself. If you go this route, make sure you keep track of the solenoid locations. Because you can mix them up. Some will fit in multiple locations. There's actually serial numbers on the solenoids. I took pictures before I started and during the tear down. If I remember correctly, I think if you replace a solenoid, It has to be in a certain range of serial numbers around your solenoid serial number. As long as you do that, I don't think you have to have it reprogrammed. So, you'll have to get the numbers off your solenoids to order new ones. This is what my friend at the transmission shop told me. I also replaced the transfer tubes between the valvebody and the case. They're cheap, basically they're just different sized rubber hoses. I think there's 3 or 4 of them. I did it just to be safe.

Just my 2 cents, If I had to do it all over again. I would just put in the updated valvebody and get it reprogrammed. I think the dealer charged me for an hour of labor. I think I had my insurance roadside assistance tow the vehicle to the dealer to get it programmed.

OP
OP
jdm_sixtwo

jdm_sixtwo

11MPG is average, right?
Reaction score
IMG_3345.jpeg
Well. Not sure if that guy is related but I sure hope it is. The truck is tuned but the code won’t go away.

Attachments

• IMG_3346.png
    IMG_3346.png
    411.4 KB · Views: 3
OP
OP
jdm_sixtwo

jdm_sixtwo

11MPG is average, right?
Reaction score
I think this was the kit. https://www.sonnax.com/parts/3052-zip-kit
I did it like 8 years ago. I installed it myself. If you go this route, make sure you keep track of the solenoid locations. Because you can mix them up. Some will fit in multiple locations. There's actually serial numbers on the solenoids. I took pictures before I started and during the tear down. If I remember correctly, I think if you replace a solenoid, It has to be in a certain range of serial numbers around your solenoid serial number. As long as you do that, I don't think you have to have it reprogrammed. So, you'll have to get the numbers off your solenoids to order new ones. This is what my friend at the transmission shop told me. I also replaced the transfer tubes between the valvebody and the case. They're cheap, basically they're just different sized rubber hoses. I think there's 3 or 4 of them. I did it just to be safe.

Just my 2 cents, If I had to do it all over again. I would just put in the updated valvebody and get it reprogrammed. I think the dealer charged me for an hour of labor. I think I had my insurance roadside assistance tow the vehicle to the dealer to get it programmed.
I’m going to order the valvebody zip kit. That sounds like it’ll probably be the issue. The solenoids have 10 different types they can be so I’d have to order a lot to only use 8 or whatever. I’ll start with the valvebody rebuild though because at high rpm where there’s lots of pump pressure it shifts fine, leading me to assume it’s losing pressure at lower rpm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter