Educate me 500 Mile Range Claims for Gen 3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The ecoboost isn’t your grandpa’s v8. Something I think it was @FordTechOne was trying to explain to me is that ‘the truck has to pull a lot of timing to run on 87, so when it’s burning 87 fuel it’s not running at its peak efficiency’ Maybe he can explain this a bit more eloquently, but I had run 91 pure gas and 93 w/ 10% ethanol in it, with about as same driving conditions as you could ask for without being on a track and the 93 did better on economy. It’s great that we have the choice in what fuel we can run.

If you think about it, what’s the break over point at which the per gallon cost increase of a higher octane level if you get less range out of a tank of gas and less performance. Yup, premium grade fuel is more expensive than regular and if that’s a deciding factor, maybe a truck isn’t the right vehicle.

What he said!

Stroked out

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I am confused. They are touting a 500 mile range for this new Gen 3 on the press releases. So what? Owners of the Gen 2 are getting 600...

so is the 500 for mixed city/highway? Still kind of like who cares - the Gen 2 is close to that.

Then with compression going to 10:5:1, and providing more HP... Will it require premium 93? Similar to the 4.6 Toyota uses in the Tundra but also found in the Lexus GX. Lexus compression and timing is different, and due to that the Lexus requires premium.

I know higher octane doesn’t equal more MPG’s but if the Gen 3 needs it, who cares that it’s got more power and supposedly better range - premium around here is at least $.60/gal more. Doesn’t make sense.

None of this news makes any sense.
Regular f150s have been running this compression ratio for years.

RadDad760

Reaction score
Are you guys really getting 500+ miles on your gen 2’s?? I can barely get 400... if there’s a gas mileage trick other than going downhill more please share!!

Chris retired grunt

Reaction score
gen 2 needs premium too.....yes...it wil run on 87, but will be down about 50 hp and down about 1 mpg.

do some searches, this was all covered in depth. why anyone would buy a $80k truck, then complain about an extra $20 every few weeks for gas is beyond me.

If $20 is going to break you, and you dont really want 500hp.....then buy a silverado.
I always run premium on my 2018. Filled up last Friday here at Cosco and it was tight at $3.00 per gallon.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Funny thing. When I bought my truck I figured a 450HP twin turbo truck would only be able to run on premium fuel and that was fine. The day I left the dealership they gave me the complimentary full tank and I asked the salesman what gas is in there? He said probably 87. I said these trucks can run on 87 octane? He said yep. So left the dealership on 87 octane and 48psi rock hard tires bouncing over bumps all the way home. Then I became Raptor educated LOL.

Found you lose 50HP on cheap low octane gas and I also found out my mileage was better on 93 octane. Full power, better mileage, it’s a wash for me to use 93. Really never planned to run low octane anyway. Hell I can barely run my hot rod on 93 LOL

Prices are going up. Based on the cost of the truck and mods, gas is the least of my problems. I do think these trucks for what they are get good mileage/range.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Are you guys really getting 500+ miles on your gen 2’s?? I can barely get 400... if there’s a gas mileage trick other than going downhill more please share!!

You can get 600 if all the stars align. Put in the highest octane you can get, get on the interstate and set the cruise for 75. Run it dry. If you got a good tank of gas, it's a hot day, no headwind, and elevation at or above about 5000ft, you can make it. My mileage drops a lot in the winter and it also drops at lower elevations. I fill up when I get down to a quarter because I don't want to have the fuel pump suck air, ever, and that's a long gas tank. I can still get 500 on a good day.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
It’s been said quite a bit, but on distance duty, the Rap can get high teens mpg even loaded down. During my move I averaged 17 mpg on the last leg of the journey, which included a long stretch of I10W where the custom of speed was ~90mph, I believe the limit is 75 but there was literally nobody doing that. I had 700-800 pounds of cargo running about 37/35 psi on KO2’s. I’ve done better on vacation trips. If speeds are around 60-65, and there’s not a bunch of stop and go ( think Island time ), I’ve gotten multiple tanks over 20mpg indicated and calculated.

This all goes away when you go off road and start using the Raptor to do Raptor things, but you’re not doing any worse than a v8 truck.