Educate me 500 Mile Range Claims for Gen 3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
i must be doing something wrong cause i never get over 425ish miles per tank an that's with Premium ---- maybe my gas really isn't premium - im gonna switch stations

'18 magnetic --- maybe the magnetic attraction to slower vehicles is increasing the drag

Damn. I filled up today and screen said 545 to empty, 93 octane always. Cruising speed around here is 80ish on toll roads and highways.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i must be doing something wrong cause i never get over 425ish miles per tank an that's with Premium ---- maybe my gas really isn't premium - im gonna switch stations

'18 magnetic --- maybe the magnetic attraction to slower vehicles is increasing the drag

SCAB or SCREW? 10 gallon difference between the two

OP
OP
G

Goosed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone have some stout evidence that they are getting improvements in MPG from premium vs regular? Also how long does it take for the Raptor to “remap” the difference in fuel. Right when you refill with premium from pretty much an empty tank?

Currently I own a wrangler but it’s gone as soon as a dealer takes me seriously and I get a Raptor on order. It runs about the same MPG on regular and premium, I had some knocking and detonation issues which caused me to go to premium. Just interested in what current Gen 2 owners “feel” since the Gen 3 power train appears to be about the same except for the new compression and possibly a new air box from what I am reading so far.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Anyone have some stout evidence that they are getting improvements in MPG from premium vs regular? Also how long does it take for the Raptor to “remap” the difference in fuel. Right when you refill with premium from pretty much an empty tank?

Currently I own a wrangler but it’s gone as soon as a dealer takes me seriously and I get a Raptor on order. It runs about the same MPG on regular and premium, I had some knocking and detonation issues which caused me to go to premium. Just interested in what current Gen 2 owners “feel” since the Gen 3 power train appears to be about the same except for the new compression and possibly a new air box from what I am reading so far.

It's been since 2018 that I ran a tank of 87 through mine. It takes a few miles to get the timing bumped back up, maybe 20-50, but it is like seeing colors you haven't seen in a while. I know my lie-o-meter showed at least a 1-2 MPG drop on 87, don't remember the exact numbers. There is a youtube where they ran an ecoboost and assorted other cars on 87 and 93 and there was a clear difference, I think the ecoboost responded the best. It's not like running premium in a non-turbo truck, whatsoever. Forget what you know. The timing jumps are pretty significant.

I was a doubter too, but after running premium since new and having my wife fill up with 87 once, I could tell right away when I left the house, I immediately called her and asked what she put in it. Gasoline is apparently the only things a woman will cheap out on. It was like it's nuts were in a vice.
The MPG improvement probably doesn't make up for the cost difference, but is better. The driveability is much better.

Frank N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's been since 2018 that I ran a tank of 87 through mine. It takes a few miles to get the timing bumped back up, maybe 20-50, but it is like seeing colors you haven't seen in a while. I know my lie-o-meter showed at least a 1-2 MPG drop on 87, don't remember the exact numbers. There is a youtube where they ran an ecoboost and assorted other cars on 87 and 93 and there was a clear difference, I think the ecoboost responded the best. It's not like running premium in a non-turbo truck, whatsoever. Forget what you know. The timing jumps are pretty significant.

I was a doubter too, but after running premium since new and having my wife fill up with 87 once, I could tell right away when I left the house, I immediately called her and asked what she put in it. Gasoline is apparently the only things a woman will cheap out on. It was like it's nuts were in a vice.
The MPG improvement probably doesn't make up for the cost difference, but is better. The driveability is much better.

Yep, it like a small tune, no doubt there is a performance improvement with the 93.

Mister Pinky

Full Access Member
Reaction score

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a28565486/honda-cr-v-vs-bmw-m5-ford-f-150-dodge-charger/

https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.dot.gov/files/documents/812520.pdf

If you are coming from 87 octane, the PCM will require several tankfuls of 93 before it recalibrates.

You’ll be hard pressed to get scientific-grade data on here regarding the difference. There’s too many differing factors for accurate results. These two articles are about the best I’ve seen regarding the subject.

Willie DEE

Reaction score
mine is a screw with the low fuel range --- i also tried to reset the TPMS sensors today --- and of course it didnt work --- i bought the tool from amazon that had the same part number that the motorcraft had

got the front left to reset 1 time - are these things always a pain in your ass to retrain after a rotation???

MFNG

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I am torn - Gen1 here, but still...

when I bought my 2014 I put 87 in. Read the manual and searched the forums. My takeaway was that pure gas was better than ethanol infused.

After running 91 (best I can get) without ethanol I get better mpg and obviously better performance.

BUT...

Sometime I can get 93/E10. Depending on where I get the 93 ( state/station) I sometime get better performance.

Best results I have had lately have been from a fill up on 93/E10 from a station 50 miles from my city at 12.9 city driving generally speaking.

In my city I am luck to get 11, maybe 12 on an easy day with 91/E0.

I will say though, my Gen1 does seem to respond better to the E0 more so than the ethanol infused. Just my 2¢.

@FordTechOne any thoughts regarding Gen1/2?

ayoustin

Full Access Member
Reaction score

There's no harm in running 87. These engines are calibrated to run on Chinese fuel which is extremely high in sulfur and the octane is under 85. If you're concerned about max power then fill up with 93. I've only put one tank of 93 in my truck to see what all the rage is but meh, nothing world changing nor any appreciable gains in fuel economy. With premium being about a $1 more per gallon here it's a good bit more to run on 93 so I just run it on 87 all the time.

What we really need is for a company (cough cough @COBB Tuning) to release flex fuel capability so we can run E85 and make extra power on cheaper fuel without having to worry about inconsistent mixes from pump to pump.