CRP stage 4 build (lower than expected power levels)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ddubdb3

Reaction score
Sorry I don’t know the whole back story here. I’m just curious how much power and torque were you shooting for? Also did you look into the v8 swap waters?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wasn’t looking to swap. My goal was 550 horsepower and 575 torque.

Can’t even get close in the torque department and that’s the most disappointing of all.

Raptor 2014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Morning,

Stage 4 CRP turbos and manifolds, AMS intake tubes kooks downpipes and AMS turbo flange. Whipple intercooler and AFE CAI. 170 stat.

Excellent install. Great shop. Dyno tuning with a tremendous effort. 37 pcm flashes. Can’t say enough good things about them.

The power is lackluster. Invested probably 12-14 grand. I don’t want to bother with the math at this point.

507 horsepower and 478 torque at the wheels. Heat soaked and 5th gear pull. It’ll make a little more peak on a cold run I assume... So basically nearly identical to MPT.

The whole thing was limited by knock on 93 octane. 4.5 of timing advance. Lambda a little rich at .77 on WOT but not way off.

Is it faster than bolt ons with a tune Yes. 447 on the same dyno. Is it noticeable? Some.

was it worth the money invested? No.

Is there a little more power in a hotter tune? Yes, but the power increases I think will be modest — and this shop tuned it for safety.

The dyno graphs from Five Star are not able to be reproduced - and no response from CRP as of yet.

At this point I can’t recommend these turbos and parts for the time and investment. If my opinion changes after some tune adjustments I’ll let you all know, but as of now this is where I stand.

I refuse to post the dyno plot as I’m just totally disappointed.
Sounds about right for a 5th her pull at a 1.5 to 1trans ratio

A pull in 4th or even 3rd would net better numbers -

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no.

1:1 is a 7th gear pull. Going to 4th or 3rd skews it even further.

7th gear is hard with the speed limiter and pulls tend to be done in 5th.

A 7th gear pull will yield a small amount more in the way of torque. Instead of 488... maybe around 500... I’d expect 570 on a 5th gear pull with close to 600 in 7th. Not even close.

Sounds about right for a 5th her pull at a 1.5 to 1trans ratio

A pull in 4th or even 3rd would net better numbers -

Last edited:

Kaz109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is disappointing to hear. It goes against every turbo car I have modded in the pasted

WARP6

Reaction score
I've been down this road in the turbo Buick world. Knee jerk thoughts are that fuel is limiting your ability to see what the hard parts can really do. I can honestly say that methanol injection was the single best mod I ever made to my car. 27psi boost on a 72mm turbo, Champion aluminum heads with their CNC port work. Matching intake, stroker bottom etc. This car is a puppy on straight pump gas as the boost has to be turned waaaaay down. With 93 octane pump gas and a dual nozzle Alky Control kit it's a friggin beast. I can only imagine your truck would act the same.

It's definitely a kick in the nuts when you invest so much time and money and get negligible gains. Props to you for sharing this information and your experience. I hope you find the limiting block in your combination

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ethanol or **** injection would help a lot but the goal was to try to get competitive with a TRX on pump gas.

not possible.

like I said I do have another guy.... seems like a great guy.... experienced tuner... he’s going to work with me to try to get what we can get... I’ll update when I do... but I have no expectations the gains will be anything more than modest over what I have now and have no unrealistic expectations.

Last edited:

WARP6

Reaction score
Ethanol or **** injection would help a lot but the goal was to try to get competitive with a TRX on pump gas.

not possible.

I don't think so either just from the physical size of that boosted engine. Methanol is relatively inexpensive to add in the grand scheme of what you've already invested. I think it could only then be able to compete with a stock TRX. Once the mods start hitting those trucks, forget about it