Clunking sound - New issue

• Thread starter Deleted member 12951
  • Start date

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 12951

Thanks Huck, I will definitely check that. I have to get my HF jack replaced, it is failing.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 12951

Went to a shop yesterday that had a lift and some tools. Make a long story short, we couldn't find the issue but could consistently reproduce it when having it under load and in the parking lot. Did check the calipers.

Would the steering rack cause this issue? I am not aware what I would be looking for if there was steering rack issues. Other than the noise, drivability seems fully functional. I am still at a loss and debating on bring it to the dealer. They are either going to laugh because I don't have factory suspension or pay through the noise...

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Went to a shop yesterday that had a lift and some tools. Make a long story short, we couldn't find the issue but could consistently reproduce it when having it under load and in the parking lot. Did check the calipers.

Would the steering rack cause this issue? I am not aware what I would be looking for if there was steering rack issues. Other than the noise, drivability seems fully functional. I am still at a loss and debating on bring it to the dealer. They are either going to laugh because I don't have factory suspension or pay through the noise...

My dealer didn't find squat.

By the way, I did replace my stock front rotors some time ago because one of them was warped and and would always shimmy under braking. I probably replaced them at around 25K miles or so.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score

I was thinking steering rack.
You can check it by driving in a circle in a non-smooth parking lot. You'll here it clunk as you go around. If it is really bad, you'll feel it in the steering.

The dealer will most likely blame the after market tie rods. How many miles do you have on those? The hiems could be wearing on in them as well. Is there any side to side movement with the wheel off the ground? Grab the wheel at 9 and 3 and push back and forth.

Yukon Joe :baby: :baby:

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 12951

I was thinking steering rack.
You can check it by driving in a circle in a non-smooth parking lot. You'll here it clunk as you go around. If it is really bad, you'll feel it in the steering.

The dealer will most likely blame the after market tie rods. How many miles do you have on those? The hiems could be wearing on in them as well. Is there any side to side movement with the wheel off the ground? Grab the wheel at 9 and 3 and push back and forth.

Yukon Joe :baby: :baby:

It happens when braking and only turning left at near full lock. It does not happen when turning right. I do not feel anything in the steering wheel when it happens. I have factory tie rods. My front suspension upgrade is ICON 3.0 and Rogue UCA. The steering rack bolts are holding on the SVC bumper but those are torqued to 325lb. When on the rack yesterday we did try to move the wheel, there is no side movement.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 12951

Hmmm.... not the rack then.

I thought you had aftermarket tie rods to match the other suspension upgrades.

I've been a little leery of upgrading the tie rods. Been reading about those affecting the steering rack as something has to give and would rather have the tie rod give than the steering rack. When I off-road, I carry an extra tie rod set with me.

FordService

FRF Addict
Reaction score
...I am still at a loss and debating on bring it to the dealer. They are either going to laugh because I don't have factory suspension or pay through the noise...

Let me know if you decide to go the dealer route, Rick. I'll continue to hang around this thread to see if you need any assistance.

My dealer didn't find squat...

You might want to try a second opinion at a different Ford Dealership, Dane. If that's something you'd be interested in, say the word and I'll get your case updated. You can find some alternatives here: Ford Dealers | Locate a Ford Dealer Near You | Ford.com

Crystal

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 12951

Okay Update: The clunking noise has been getting louder and anyone riding with me, notices it. It happens when braking straight, turning left at slow speeds and now turning to the right at speed when the suspension dips down on the driver front side.

Took it to the dealer this morning for a list:
Oil Change
Tire rotation and balance
Brakes - Rotor warped
Rear Diff leaking / paying to have the front changed too
Tire Pressure sensor fault
And asked to take a look at the clunking/popping sound.

Just got a call from the dealer and they said the LCA is causing the clunk/pop and will order a replacement and have it here tomorrow to install. I assume that it is the bushings that failed, hence why they have to replace the entire LCA? Would by chance the UCA that has my caster at around 7.0 caused the LCA to go out?

Last edited by a moderator: