"Clunk" from the right front

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

07Alloy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been through this too with the dealership. Same answer. I have noticed now that it is way worse or noticeable when it gets colder out. Still can't find the cause. When it warms up, it doesn't sound as bad but I can still hear it.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have been through this too with the dealership. Same answer. I have noticed now that it is way worse or noticeable when it gets colder out. Still can't find the cause. When it warms up, it doesn't sound as bad but I can still hear it.

That sounds a lot like a rubber bushing reacting to temperature, Alloy. You might want to do a complete front-end inspection with plenty of light and a mirror. I bet you find a worn or split bushing.

Towerhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Question for the OP. With the engine off, turn the steering wheel from left to right to left until resistance is felt each time. Do you have a clunk when doing this? It could be your steering rack.

Mine does it and Im taking it to the dealer this week and have them check it out. All bolts are torqued. I can actually feel the rack move up and down where it exits the housing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
trayack

trayack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Question for the OP. With the engine off, turn the steering wheel from left to right to left until resistance is felt each time. Do you have a clunk when doing this? It could be your steering rack.

Mine does it and Im taking it to the dealer this week and have them check it out. All bolts are torqued. I can actually feel the rack move up and down where it exits the housing.

I'll give it a shot. I've noticed the colder the temps get, the more noticable the "clunk" is.

specsniper

Reaction score
I have this same "issue" and thought I had read somewhere on this forum that the clunk sound may be from the shocks and therefore "normal" however not sure I buy it. Is there not a resident Ford Tech on the forum who could possibly shed some light?