Chevy outsold Ford in 2016

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Toadster

FRF Addict
Reaction score
John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
1-4-2017

Based on the full year of sales reported today by GM and Ford, GM sold more pickups. Although Ford's F-Series is indeed the single nameplate winner in the sales race, its total of 820,799 units is not enough to equal GM's combined pickup truck sales of 942,730. When it comes to "full-size" pickups, Ford edged out GM since GM sold a total of 796,556 Silverado and Sierras. It was the Colorado and Canyon "Midsize" trucks that put GM over the top.

General Motors bringing back the midsize pickups was perhaps its best strategic decision in the post-collapse period since 2007/2009. This segment is hot and GM is only restricted by its production on how many of these vehicles it sells. Ford and Ram both have lost hundreds of thousands of vehicle sales by having ignored this resurgent segment. Ford also lost the pickup sales title yet again.

Ram trucks had a good year, selling 489,418 units, up 9% on the year.

whew - I thought Ford lost it's 40 year streak for a moment!
:baby:

BajaFred

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Makes sense, you had a natural pause in SD sales while people waited for the new release, too

Hal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was always curious why Ford dropped the Ranger. Seemed pretty popular. If they relaunched it I bet they could sell a lot with minimal effort and no attempt at making it best in class. Big boost to their total truck number.

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Makes sense, you had a natural pause in SD sales while people waited for the new release, too

X2
Plus a shit ton of F150s w/ 10 speed transmissions sat at Ramp 59 forever before shipping. Mine is finally shipping out tomorrow with an ETA of 1/24. :chewie:

Geo_Tactical

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could never imagine a scenario where I would buy a Dodge, errr "Ram". Been making garbage for Decades, and were it not for the government rescuing them back in the day by forcing Dodge trucks for government use, they would have been toast, just as their quality should have caused. Rebranding with "guts and glory" slogans doesn't change what they are.