Chalk up another cam phaser fix here...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sonicsunspot

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The service parts have been updated to eliminate the failure mode that affected the original parts.
Agree 100% (as always) with FT1. Mine had cam phasers replaced with old parts in 2019. Noise came back in 10k miles so replaced with new parts in 2020. Truck has zero noise on startup now and runs great and feels solid.
If your dealer doesn’t know about this or needs you to get the TSB for them, don’t let them work on your truck.
BTW - my 2013 FX4 made the cold startup rattle from 30k miles until I traded it with 135k on odometer. I didn’t know it wasn’t normal until I bought a Raptor and found this forum.

Jr24

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 2018 (December 2017 build) started making the rattle after sitting overnight at about 22k miles. I mentioned it to my dealer when I made an appointment for a service and a seat heater not working. My dealer gave me a loaner when I left my truck as they normally do when I leave it. They called me a couple of days later to tell me they had ordered a seat heater element and cam phaser parts. My dealer had it about two weeks and they did remove the cab, but they were careful and didn't damage anything, and I can't tell it was even apart, and have about 28k miles on it now. I am happy with the service and my dealer and have no complaints. With the way the engine sits down and back in the engine compartment, I didn't really want someone climbing all over the fenders and grill scratching everything up anyway. Whether your dealer pulls the cab or not, I wouldn't worry too much about it. If they know what they're doing, there shouldn't be a problem.

metalwhiz

Reaction score
I’m in the same boat just stated getting rattles on cold start ups but not every cold start. (Late 2018 build 14,000 miles).

Same here. July 2018 build date with 14k miles. I've been hitting start button without brake first to get oil up to phasers, then start the truck. Hasn't rattled since I started doing this, but eventually will get it fixed. Anyone have this phaser work done in Phoenix area and satisfied with dealer?

johndjmix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had the phaser on my 2018, so traded it in for a 2020...and got it at the right time! Trade in value was great (even with the phaser issue) and actually have lower payments on the new truck!

—john

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
azw

azw

Reaction score
I wanted to follow up on my original post regarding the "fix" to update everyone.

TL;DR: To do it all over again, I don't think I'd mention the cam phaser TSB when I having the inspection done and just live with the 15 seconds of noise.

So, my local dealer (where I bought the truck) started to perform the work on a Wednesday and after a bit of back and forth needed to keep it until the following Tuesday to get the parts and install everything. I picked it up on Tuesday and drove straight home, less than 5 miles. As an aside, I chatted with the service advisor who said that they've done dozens of the phaser TSB fixes for the Ecoboosts on both Raptors and other platforms. :rolleyes: Honestly, as some have said, the service manager told me that while it's noisy it's not detrimental to get

Regardless, as I'm working from home at this time, I didn't drive the truck further until Saturday (Halloween). I ran a few errands early in the day and all seemed fine until I started noticing some noise that I chalked up to a bit of belt whine, but the truck seemed to run fine. To rationalize the whine, I told myself that perhaps during the work they'd gotten some coolant on the belt, etc. and figured it'd work itself out. I mean it was annoying, but not earth shattering.

Anyway, that evening I was going to take my two little guys trick or treating. We live in an area where the houses are pretty far apart so they like to hop in the bed and we drive from house to house. Well, this is where the problems started. The fans started running CONSTANTLY which went on for a while. While concerning, I told myself it was b/c I was running the heater, etc., but soon after I noticed that the engine temp was increasing and eventually spiked to the point of overheating. After many cycles of shutting it off, restarting, and driving a couple hundred feet (to get closer to home), I opened her up and noticed that the coolant reservoir was COMPLETELY empty. I called my wife to bring me some coolant so I could fill it back up and get home, which she did. Well, when I poured it in it dumped straight onto the ground. Regardless, I did the cool down, start, drive, stop, rinse repeat process 5 or 6 times and got the truck into my driveway where it sat until Monday AM. While I couldn't get a truly clear look, I assumed at that point that a hose clamp had come loose.

On Monday, I called the dealer who had me call Ford roadside to have it towed to the dealership which I did. Once there, well, sure enough they looked at it and found that the clamp had fallen off. They put a new clamp on and said they "cleaned it up in there". I picked it back up Monday night and drove it a bit and all seemed well.

On Wednesday, I was running some errands when the belt whine, etc. came back strong. I was near the dealership and I swung in to have them look at it to which he stated that he thought it was the belts too and confirmed my suspicion that perhaps something had gotten on there during the work. He asked me to bring it by this morning so that they could fix it and so here we are. I'm still waiting to hear from them.

Perhaps it's an overreaction, but part of me did consider asking the sales folks when I go to pick it up what they could do for me on a trade in for a 2020? :) I probably won't pull the trigger, but hey, who know.

johndjmix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did just that. Traded when I had the phaser issue. Got me out of my 2018 and got me into a new 2020 with a LOWER payment.

Took a good deal of negotiation but got it done.

—john

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk