Chalk up another cam phaser fix here...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
azw

azw

Reaction score
Whoa!? Remove the cab from the frame? Yikes.

My "small town" dealership here knew about the fix straight away and commented, just as you say, that it was a common issue for "this engine." Which I took to mean all EcoBoost V6TTs.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I dunno....seems like EVERY truck is bound to have this “issue” at some point or another, & also seems like there have been several members who have posted on here who have the cam phaser TSB “fix” only to have it come back.

personally I got 34k on my 2018 started making that rattle on cold start maybe 10k miles ago & I don’t plan on doing sh*t unless it effects performance- which from what I have surmised thus far it doesn’t.

Every truck is not bound to have the issue because not every phaser is faulty. On a forum, you’re only going to hear about the ones that fail, which makes it seem more widespread than it really is. The only ones that have exhibited repeat repairs are those that were either incorrectly repaired by the dealer or were repaired before the new service parts were released in 10/19.

Ford has built millions of F-150 and Expedition 3.5 engines between 2017 and 2020; of every single one failed, every dealer would have parking lots full hundreds of vehicles waiting for repair. That is not even remotely the case.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Whoa!? Remove the cab from the frame? Yikes.

My "small town" dealership here knew about the fix straight away and commented, just as you say, that it was a common issue for "this engine." Which I took to mean all EcoBoost V6TTs.

Ford has a published service procedure to safely remove the cab from the chassis for various repairs. The truck is designed so that all connections (Electrical, A/C, etc) can be separated without damage. Servicing the timing components does not require removal of the cab per the Workshop Manual, but some techs prefer to do it that way.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My yearly state inspection was due up this month, so I decided to take the truck (2018) in to have it done, get the oil changed, fix an inoperable sunroof, and I figured I'd mention the subtle rattle on cold startup to the service advisor.

Honestly, I'd listened to some of the other videos posted with the cam rattle and I didn't think it sounded the same, but I figured there was no harm in mentioning it. It resulted in me having to leave the truck overnight so they could do a cold start. Well, I just received a call from the service advisor and sure enough they are replacing them.

Out of curiosity for those that are more in the know than I. Is this a permanent fix or is it possible that the replacements can also go bad eventually?

what is your build date? My understanding from @FordTechOne is July 2018 and later builds should have the updated cam phazer design..

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Can someone remind me what the issue is technically referred to (other than "the cam phaser issue")? My dealer being Raptor-dumb, I want to be able to tell them exactly what I think is up when I set up service.

Dealers go based on customer concern/vehicle symptom. Simply explain what the symptom is. If you heard a loud rattle on first cold start, provide them with that description.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Out of curiosity for those that are more in the know than I. Is this a permanent fix or is it possible that the replacements can also go bad eventually?

The service parts have been updated to eliminate the failure mode that affected the original parts.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dealers go based on customer concern/vehicle symptom. Simply explain what the symptom is. If you heard a loud rattle on first cold start, provide them with that description.

you tube cam phaser rattle...you know it when you have it.

OP
OP
azw

azw

Reaction score
Ford has a published service procedure to safely remove the cab from the chassis for various repairs. The truck is designed so that all connections (Electrical, A/C, etc) can be separated without damage. Servicing the timing components does not require removal of the cab per the Workshop Manual, but some techs prefer to do it that way.

Ok, fair enough, it just sounded more extreme than I guess it is. Thanks for the knowledge.

Proflyer

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you think for a second you have the rattle, I'd get it in and get it fixed. I feel like the truck runs a lot better and quieter. I had a pretty bad rattle at start up, even when warm, and it had a consistent tick as well. All of that has been solved with the new phasers. Oddly enough, my MPG also went up about 1.5. Not sure how that's possible, but if the phasers were bad enough maybe the cam timing wasn't able to operate as effectively as it should. SA told me he's heard the same from a few guys now as my dealer here in Denver has done over 100 he said.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjorn-dpc