catback vs. custom side exhaust before rear tire?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Atticus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi, I've been all around the forums and on the web trying to make a decision about an exhaust upgrade. I have a 2010 5.4 Raptor (I know...I'm old news) and know what I want...ideally. I like the sound of the Flowmaster 40 series muffler....so I'm thinking of having that welded in and then having the tubing customed to dual exit in front of the rear passenger side tire. (4 in ceramic coated black tips) From what I can tell in my digging around, it looks as though I'd have to send my tips out of state to get this done. Not sure how much that costs or how long it would take. But this is where most suggestions have led to: Jet-Hot Ceramic Coatings I'd also have to wait for my local shop to have an opening to do the work. All in all, I'm probably looking at $300-$400 in cost for the muffler, coated tips, shipping, and labor. (I may be estimating a little high) Plus, I have to wait. I hate waiting.

The only other option I've come across for what I want is this for my 5.4, and it seems as if it is now unavailable:JBA 3in Catback Exhaust System - Dual Side Exit (10-11 SVT Raptor) at AmericanTrucks.com - Free Shipping! Buying a catback system that fits all of the above criteria, with the exception of the ceramic tips, but that has pretty nice chrome tips, and a similar sound to the Flowmaster 40, would be something I'd be interested in taking a look at. I've seen another thread about this JBA muffler, and it said the SSW exhaust and possibly another company might have come out with one, but I looked and looked and looked and couldn't find one.

So...before I go with the first option, I'm asking for your help as a last resort. My brain is fried. SOS.:emotions133:

Thanks so much. Atticus

Reaction score
IMG_2143.jpg
I had a catback with one muffler but after i supercharged it and put on headers, it was way to loud. so now i have 2 magnaflo mufflers and it sounds perfect.

NickPic83

FRF Addict
Reaction score
View attachment 9867
I had a catback with one muffler but after i supercharged it and put on headers, it was way to loud. so now i have 2 magnaflo mufflers and it sounds perfect.

Can u show a pic under the truck how the pipe exits? Trying to see how u got the tips so close to the body. Mine hang down a little due to the frame and leaf springs being there

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Jackemuphigh21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And you gotta watch the tip size too cuz once you get over 3" if you are trying to angle the tips like factory where the slash cut looks straight now it wont tuck up to the body because of the running boards. I know cuz I hated the way mine looked with 3 1/2" tips cuz they wouldn't tuck. once I put headers on I just dumped it. Sounds pretty good still and looks a lot cleaner.

jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ssw made a lightning style exhaust and it's my understanding mbrp is working on one. I bought mbrp's dump kit and I plan on taking off the dump and running twin 3 inch slash cut tips out the side in front of the passenger rear tire. Ford Raptor 2011+ Lightning Exhaust: Performance Connect
There's the link the stainless works exhaust

let us know how this goes, i think thats going to be my plan as well MBRP dump out to side exit....unless MBRP comes along with a proper side exit exhaust first

Reaction score
IMG_2204.jpg
IMG_2205.jpg
IMG_2202.jpg
IMG_2206.jpg
I Had them jack the truck up so that the rear suspension was at full droop when they set it up. That way I could be sure that the exhaust wouldn't hit it. Those are 4" tips. I was thinking about spraying them with some high temp black spray paint.....

Last edited:
Reaction score
I started out with a jba side exit kit that I installed in my driveway. The catback sounded great at first. But after I added the headers and the super charger it was way to loud. So I added 2 mufflers instead of 1 muffler. Also added an x pipe to balance things out.

If you don't plan on getting headers later on, then I think the jba kit would be a great choice. I got the kit off eBay for $350.

OP
OP
Atticus

Atticus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I started out with a jba side exit kit that I installed in my driveway. The catback sounded great at first. But after I added the headers and the super charger it was way to loud. So I added 2 mufflers instead of 1 muffler. Also added an x pipe to balance things out.

If you don't plan on getting headers later on, then I think the jba kit would be a great choice. I got the kit off eBay for $350.

So...does that mean the kit can't be bought on line anymore...other than ebay...that you know of? I have an AFE stage 2 CAI only....do you think the kit would be too loud...if I could find one?

---------- Post added at 10:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 PM ----------

So...does that mean the kit can't be bought on line anymore...other than ebay...that you know of? I have an AFE stage 2 CAI only....do you think the kit would be too loud...if I could find one?

I actually found it on summit racing's website for $415. Would you recommend it over a custom side exit exhaust with a flowmaster 40. I only found one 12 second sound clip of the JBA on youtube; it sounded pretty good. I'm looking for the balance the 40 series provides...aggressive tone, subdued drone...good for me and the family, if you know what I mean. Do you have any sound clips before the upgrades?