Catastrophic engine failure, what would you do?

What now?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I can't watch that shit. I made it 1 minute into it.

Says she's going to rebuild the GT350 engine herself, but she and all of her fiends have no experience or knowledge at all.

I'd bet a left nut the cams ain't getting degreed in that engine build! But then again, I wish her good luck as nobody can take as much care when building an engine as the actual owner.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Says she's going to rebuild the GT350 engine herself, but she and all of her fiends have no experience or knowledge at all.

I'd bet a left nut the cams ain't getting degreed in that engine build! But then again, I wish her good luck as nobody can take as much care when building an engine as the actual owner.

It looks so easy when you watch a 10 minute of someone else doing it!! :jester:

FINRPTR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ask the dealer if they can prove your tuner caused the failure. Ask them if they can convince a jury of 12. Ask them to see the warranty and policy manual where it states that using a tuner will void the warranty. Better yet ask your lawyer to ask the dealer these questions.

Kuan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ask the dealer if they can prove your tuner caused the failure. Ask them if they can convince a jury of 12. Ask them to see the warranty and policy manual where it states that using a tuner will void the warranty. Better yet ask your lawyer to ask the dealer these questions.

It is not the dealer denying the warranty. It is Ford. Her explanation is kin of what I thought - purely based on key cycles. Once they deny warranty, that is a huge uphill battle with no real guarantee. Tuning vehicles is a real pay to play gamble.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
It is not the dealer denying the warranty. It is Ford. Her explanation is kin of what I thought - purely based on key cycles. Once they deny warranty, that is a huge uphill battle with no real guarantee. Tuning vehicles is a real pay to play gamble.

^^^^
This.

If for example you lose a bearing, bust a hard part not due to pre-ignition, etc. and I think cam phasers; think being the operative word - you might stand a chance if you went all the way, but the difficulty comes from this ‘affirmative defense’ as a plaintiff.

you admit you tuned the truck and seek to prove to a jury your modifications didn’t affect the failed part. Once you admit you tuned the truck, anything “downstream” of your mod has a compromised warranty. That is to say, the manufacturer can assert a warranty denial due to modifications on every repair. You may have to sue for warranty coverage on a pinion gear, transfer case, differential case, transmission hard parts, anything that could be affected by more power output. Is it likely that a tune caused a pinion gear too fail? No, but likely is irrelevant legally.

Ford and other manufacturers have a dedicated staff of lawyers who answer lemon lawsuits. They also have “relationships” with numerous qualified ‘expert witnesses’ who will testify that whatever modification you made definitely caused the failure and justifies the manufacturer’s warranty denial.

You have to hire expert witnesses and you may have the tuner or programmer called- by the manufacturer to testify. This would be a bad thing, because the manufacturer’s engineering team will submit questions that no one person could sufficiently answer. No practical amount of reverse engineering will net you the results as a ground up engineering effort. Eventually, they’ll be asked if they accounted for the widget voltage adjustment to impart a linear increase in oil pressure directly proportional to fuel pressure and injector cycle, factoring in the coriolis effect. There will of course be no right answer and everyone in the room will be dumbfounded. The jury would be faced with the maker of the vehicle who knows it from the ground up and can reasonably convince an unknowing jury to side with them.

Your expert would have to be able to survive the barrage of engineering questions, and convince the jury that the defendant’s witnesses were misleading, wrong or incompetent to speak on the matters. Impeaching a witness is hard to do but possible. Manufacturers do lose these cases periodically, but usually it’s under favorable conditions.

I’m not sure that low compression in 2 cylinders is something the tune is going to do to an engine, even at an accelerated pace, but they’re not challenging it. Probably because it’s 50/50 prospect on prevailing and would probably cost ~10-15k up front to cover costs to start the process and get most of the way through. You can have the motor replaced for less and that’s one reason that manufacturers succeed as many times as they do for warranty denials.

FINRPTR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford doesn’t deny the warranty, it’s all on the dealer. Ford relies on the dealer to be the eyes and ears for the company.

If you or your lawyer can find one stock truck that lost an engine the same way as yours, that doesn’t have a tuner the dealer will fold.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I would really like your reality @FINRPTR.

You would have to show an enormity; essentially a pattern that demonstrated there was a product defect causing exactly the same failure you had AND be able to prove any mods you made did not affect that outcome. Just because there’s a pattern of failure, doesn’t mean mods can’t cause the same or similar enough failure.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Anyone running an aftermarket tune who thinks they can Magnuson Moss their way out of a blown engine is a moron.

If you can't afford to replace your engine, leave it stock.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ford doesn’t deny the warranty, it’s all on the dealer. Ford relies on the dealer to be the eyes and ears for the company.

If you or your lawyer can find one stock truck that lost an engine the same way as yours, that doesn’t have a tuner the dealer will fold.

Only partly true. The dealer is "empowered" to make warranty decisions (per the Warranty & Policy Manual) which occurs on a daily basis, but they often request a field rep when there is a questionable circumstances - for the simple reason that they won't want to be caught in the middle when engineering receives the returned parts and charges the claim back due to a non-warrantable failure mode. I can confirm that Ford field service rep compensation is unrelated to warranty - their pay is based on the diagnostic tools and equipment their dealers buy from Ford along with their dealer's customer satisfaction score in the service department. From my experience, they have no interest in voiding a customer's warranty to save money.