Catastrophic engine failure, what would you do?

What now?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WHYUMAD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most of the contracts like that say THE DEALER must do all work, not that it can be done anywhere you choose. Big difference. it's not like a factory warranty where you get work done anywhere you like, or do it yourself. That's how they pay for the contract.

I KNOW. but how could they prove you got your tires rotated once at a Midas? Just saying. It locks in their maintenance intervals for guaranteed $$$, but they won’t be able to prove you rotated tires elsewhere in between your agreed upon maintenance intervals.

If you miss a scheduled maintenance... they can prove that easily & their contract is voided.

As long as it’s in writing & you get all scheduled maintenance done at that dealer, they can’t void the contract.

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most of the contracts like that say THE DEALER must do all work, not that it can be done anywhere you choose. Big difference. it's not like a factory warranty where you get work done anywhere you like, or do it yourself. That's how they pay for the contract.
The paperwork says and I quote "You are required to have all the vehicle manufacturer recommended oil and filter changes, transmission fluid changes and tire rotations performed at Our service department. Maintenance services must be performed within 1,000 miles of the manufacturer recommended Service intervals.".

I am not sure if the dealer is providing the warranty and therefore they would insist that I get absolutely everything done there so they are making money which would cover any potential warranty claim, or is the warranty through a separate warranty company that would be appeased if most of the work was done at the dealership and you could document that you did proper maintenance on occasion elsewhere?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@OPT PRIME ... Put DOWN the crack pipe.

Quoting Al D’Amato, that gal was a super putzhead. c’mon @MGD, we know you’re still subbed here and lurking. How many of your accounts have been banned now, 5 ? heck, I think I see one of your old troll accounts browsing the thread right now... gotta check.

anyway, anecdotally, there are an awful lot of tuned Raps running around still running fine, not having issues from various tuners. If there was an endemic problem with the platform, all the tuned guys would be reporting problems.

Remember pedal commander guys put out some boost increasing box that everyone had trouble with? Tune guys aren’t all writing in to FRF with tales of woe after nnnn thousands of miles. They’re mostly happy with increased power and better shifting. Which is why I think OP needs a deeper analysis than “your truck is tuned, warranty void. ugh.”

That is a simpleton view of these situations. Every high performance OEM engine from these days regardless of manufacturer is durability tested to it's breaking point. Engineering then determines a safe threshold within the failure point with which to establish the calibration. And that calibration spends months, if not years, in development and validation.

When you get an aftermarket tune, the manufacturer has no idea what's been changed. All they can see is that the key cycles and calibration number are invalid. Do you really expect them to spend the resources to find out who made the modification, what modification was made, and then run testing and validation to find out if said modification could contribute to the failure? That is ridiculous, and you know it. The manufacturer warranties THEIR design; not somebody else's.

As far as oil pressure, these engines have variable oil pumps controlled by the PCM. Meaning that a PCM calibration change will directly affect oil pressure. So if engine power (and/or low RPM torque) is increased through an aftermarket calibration, the variable displacement oil pump maps need to be changed as well. Most tuners will not do that. As much I agree that Livernois is a reputable tuner, the manufacturer has no affiliation and therefore cannot validate what they did. Hence the OP's situation.

And to the person that called OP an "idiot" for being honest, you are part of the problem. The manufacturer will find out you made the modifications either way, why lower yourself to lying?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
When you get an aftermarket tune, the manufacturer has no idea what's been changed. All they can see is that the key cycles and calibration number are invalid. Do you really expect them to spend the resources to find out who made the modification, what modification was made, and then run testing and validation to find out if said modification could contribute to the failure? That is ridiculous, and you know it. The manufacturer warranties THEIR design; not somebody else's.

Theres nothing wrong with warrantying the original design / spec’d calibration, hardware etc. There is something -legally- insufficient when a dealer asserts ‘warranty void’ conditions on something they do not know, or reasonably can prove directly caused the actual failure. Lawsuits are won against manufacturers multiple times per year with a modified subject vehicle. I really don’t care who made the modification to this extent, my point here is troubleshooting by looking for an excuse not to fix the problem under warranty - which is wholly misunderstood in the repair bays, is just enabling the legal profession to proliferate.

it’s not really asking too much to expect a dealership service department to actually troubleshoot the problem, if it is a problem caused by a modification, it’s understandable that it’s not a warranty repair. if there’s an incidental modification that’s not something that should even be at issue.

Bryantbjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the link, she mentions how ford rejected a gt 350 engine warranty claim due to being tuned but also mentions raptors. She has both.

John813

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Surprising outcome. Would of at least seen what was wrong with it, especially since OP was upside down on the initial offer for trade in.

Could of been a few grand fix or 13k.

Anywho, that was decided a year ago. One hell of a read for a let down finish lol.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Theres nothing wrong with warrantying the original design / spec’d calibration, hardware etc. There is something -legally- insufficient when a dealer asserts ‘warranty void’ conditions on something they do not know, or reasonably can prove directly caused the actual failure. Lawsuits are won against manufacturers multiple times per year with a modified subject vehicle. I really don’t care who made the modification to this extent, my point here is troubleshooting by looking for an excuse not to fix the problem under warranty - which is wholly misunderstood in the repair bays, is just enabling the legal profession to proliferate.

it’s not really asking too much to expect a dealership service department to actually troubleshoot the problem, if it is a problem caused by a modification, it’s understandable that it’s not a warranty repair. if there’s an incidental modification that’s not something that should even be at issue.

I agree. Unfortunately, dealerships are empowered to make their own warranty determinations unless the case is escalated to a Ford Field Service Engineer. Misinformed dealers are a disservice to both the customer and the manufacturer.