Catastrophic engine failure, what would you do?

What now?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try getting an engine or transmission replaced under this free warranty at 150k miles and let me know how it goes.

Either the claim will be denied because the coverage is extremely limited, the "deductible" will be larger than the total cost you could get it replaced for somewhere else, or the warranty is nothing more than a small discount on overpriced parts and labor.

But don't let common sense stop you from believing dealers are giving out free lunches.

There are lots of stories on these forums about people's experiences with non-factory warranties.

You bring up some interesting points. I supposedly have a lifetime powertrain warranty from the dealer where I purchased my truck as long as I have the oil changed at that dealership at the appropriate intervals. Is this warranty something that can be trusted, or will I be very disappointed if/when something happens if I follow their guidelines?

WHYUMAD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You bring up some interesting points. I supposedly have a lifetime powertrain warranty from the dealer where I purchased my truck as long as I have the oil changed at that dealership at the appropriate intervals. Is this warranty something that can be trusted, or will I be very disappointed if/when something happens if I follow their guidelines?

Is it in writing?

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it in writing?
Yes ..... my lifetime powertrain warranty is in writing detailing what is covered with the stipulation that I must have the oil and transmission fluid changed at the dealership where I bought the truck at the manufacturer suggested intervals. What's interesting is that they also stipulate that tire rotations have got to be performed at the dealer, so I wonder if that is where they catch most people?

WHYUMAD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By vehicle and VIN. You have to go into that dealership so they have very little tracking to do. They are counting on making money on the maintenance you are paying them to do.

But how can they track that the tires haven’t been rotated elsewhere? The oil is a bit easier to track, but what if you want to do 2,500 mile oil changes & go to them for their 5,000 mile intervals & do it yourself in between with the same oil & filters.

It’s definitely a money grab, but as long as you do their recommended intervals & have them do it.. I’m sure it won’t matter that you rotated your tires at home one time in between their service intervals.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
But how can they track that the tires haven’t been rotated elsewhere? The oil is a bit easier to track, but what if you want to do 2,500 mile oil changes & go to them for their 5,000 mile intervals & do it yourself in between with the same oil & filters.

It’s definitely a money grab, but as long as you do their recommended intervals & have them do it.. I’m sure it won’t matter that you rotated your tires at home one time in between their service intervals.

Most of the contracts like that say THE DEALER must do all work, not that it can be done anywhere you choose. Big difference. it's not like a factory warranty where you get work done anywhere you like, or do it yourself. That's how they pay for the contract.