Catastrophic engine failure, what would you do?

What now?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NickSim

Reaction score
I'm hesitant to even post this, but here goes.

My 2017 with 34k miles has intake, catch can, downpipes, 5 star '91 daily' tune and NOT ABUSED was making a slight diesel sound between 1500-2500 rpms for a minute and then low oil pressure warning. Uh-oh.

Luckily I was within eyesight of a Ford dealer, so I left it with their service department. Bad news, they're saying catastrophic failure, most likely spun a bearing hence the low oil pressure. They're assuming metal shavings ruined turbo bearings. Quoted replacement long block, turbos and install 13K.

Need to talk to Livernois Motorsports, but they have "Pro" series short blocks for $5,800 and "Race" series for $8,000... Pending miscellaneous cost and what-not, I'm gonna guess somewhere around 15K will get me a bulletproof engine and upgraded turbos.

But, to be honest I don't use the Raptor as intended. I'd be served perfectly fine with a regular F150.

So what would you do? The way I see it I have a few options... to be honest I miss having a V8 and I absolutely love the Coyote motor, I'm leaning towards trading the truck on a Nightmare or just a Lariat and put a Roush/Whipple on it eventually. I'm waiting on the dealer to give me a trade-in price before making any decisions.

***Update***

Dealer offered 37k for trade as-is.

Currently they’re dropping the oil pan to inspect, cost of $763.

Last edited:

802Avalanche

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ugh. Sorry to hear about your truck.

I don't know about the Livernois offerings, but I would also be considering RMB Motor Works if you opt to rebuild your block.

I totally understand and identify with your distaste for the Ecoboost. I can't find the voting button for Whippled Coyote Aluminator swap the Raptor. Kidding. Not kidding? Someone has to be the first.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I voted for Livernois. It just seems like the best option for you at this time. You're going to have to pay to have this truck fixed regardless and the price difference between the two options, though I think it will realistically be more than the $2k you are estimating, is still going to be small enough that it just makes sense to build it better, faster, and stronger.