Catastrophic engine failure, what would you do?

What now?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Biggest problem IMO w/ these Ford EB motors is kinda 2 fold - on the one hand, big power/performance increases can be had w/ only minor tuning adjustments - which can be removed although a flash is seen you can still initiate additional ignition cycles & unless the truck is completely limp, probably provide enough of a data trail that the dealer wouldn't even raise an eyebrow + most of the hard part "performance" mods (catch can included) are immediately noticeable by dealers & also tough to even argue they 100% didn't cause a problem - you have a vacuum leak that lead to some other issue & a catch can? SOL - or maybe debris introduced into intake - catch can could also be a culprit as could an obvious CAI, a giant FMIC staring @ you through the grill? Automatic "red flag" to a dealer & if you had oil consumption issues or overheating or some other engine related cooling issue - could simply blame that big ass intercooler blocking the engine bay etc. etc. - but the tune is the biggest bang for the buck & the most stealthy so also the most tempting.

On the other hand while anyone modding a vehicle should be well versed in the "pay to play" mantra, w/ the Ford EB motors being relatively complex w/ more moving parts to worry about vs. what I'm more used to - SOHC V8 - if something does grenade there really doesn't seem to be nearly the same aftermarket hard part engine related components.

Like I'll put it this way - if I had a tuned 6.2 GMC & was under warranty but dropped a lifter or 2, somehow didn't notice it & kept running it that eventually lead to wiping out the cam or grinding down a lobe or 2, & the dealer decided to take a hard line & deny my warranty say because of a tune, or CAI, or LT headers....you know how I'd feel? I'd be a little annoyed for about 10 mins, get over it, & immediately start planning out my cam or heads/cam build -

That scenario is similar to a cam phaser faiure w/ the HO 3.5, except you got no hot cam kits off the shelf, I don't any tuners locally in the northeast who really dive into these motors, so you're either dealing w/ some remote shop like Livernois or @ the dealer's mercy.

All that being said? I just pulled trigger on GH tune - YOLO right?

For the record I do have 100k b2b warranty....