Cam phasers, sunroof rails, transmission, turbo...addressed in GEN 3?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
View attachment 325778 yeah it certainly wouldnt be fair to compare it to other products ive owned, including another pano roof. The ford roof beginning to fail within one year of ownership (with regular use) then continuing to be a PITA for the next year and a half, is normal bc the roof is massive and heavy, got it. Brackets, guides, etc being made out of plastic for a heavy roof, clearly a great design intended to last the test of time. The fact that the internet is littered with threads and horror stories about these panoramic roofs across ford models must certainly mean my points are baseless. Being a ford tech must also mean you couldnt have any bias here.
Yea, maybe they should have used metal brackets, which are susceptible to corrosion and would shatter the glass in the event of a mechanical obstruction.

I’ve owned 4 Ford vehicles with pano roofs, including an F-150, and never had a problem. For those that do, there is a TSB to resolve it. Not sure what else you’re looking for other than to complain.

KevoUsmc

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Funny, my wife was driving around her grandmothers 90' Lexus with a sunroof for a few months and it worked, but it was the size of a laptop almost. The sun visor is also manual and not automatic.. She drives a 2010 Jetta with a sunroof, also small but uses it every single day. It had some squeaking and a slight vibration recently from probably never being cleaned or serviced but I went out the other weekend and cleaned all the parts and lubed it up and no issues since. The pano ones are basically glass roofs so while there is a comparison it's only slight. I think i've heard from 90 out of 100 people on here that have no issues owning the panos, but we don't start a thread every time something works right? Get the roof or don't, who cares. It's like any other part some random people just draw the short end of the stick

DINOZR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re: moonroof maintenance

The Krytox grease is just for the brackets. Weatherstrip lube (also a cheap purchase on Amazon) is recommended to lube the seal all the way around, after cleaning with isopropyl alcohol. Here is the most recent TSB that gives all the part numbers of products you will need and the procedure, with pictures:

OP
OP
savela

savela

Reaction score
All good info. Thanks all. I saw they have a 'soft' recall on the cam phaser issue. Mine had previously been so bad that they repaired - no issues since. That would indicate a hardware specific issue. As for the panoramic roof - the rails initially were made of plastic and would fracture in time. Glad to hear they're now metal. Not sure if the transmission issue I had was a one off deal. Ultimately a bit cautious since that eco boost had problems even before the gen 2 raptor. Whatever the case, and as a total aside, I'm not gonna pay over MSRP - I'll keep my gen 2.