Cam Phaser/Engine Failure Reports

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 17706

Don't listen to Sasquatch.

It’s not a Sasquatch issue. @FordTechOne stated the April date originally, but that was either a mistake, or the parts did not work because we have Raptors built past that date with those same issues. It would be nice to know an accurate date. Given all the confusion, I have simply started looking at only 2020s in hopes that that model year won’t be plagued with the same issues.

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It’s not a Sasquatch issue. @FordTechOne stated the April date originally, but that was either a mistake, or the parts did not work because we have Raptors built past that date with those same issues. It would be nice to know an accurate date. Given all the confusion, I have simply started looking at only 2020s in hopes that that model year won’t be plagued with the same issues.
I thought I read somewhere the date was August so I looked for a late build 2019 Scab for a while but ended up ordering a 2020. FWIW my 2017 doesn't have the issue @ 42K miles.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score

A few points of clarification.
First, it is a ‘squatch issue in that it’s been blown completely out of proportion. Second, How many affected vehicles are you talking about here, altogether and post April, 2019 build date?

D

Deleted member 17706

A few points of clarification.
First, it is a ‘squatch issue in that it’s been blown completely out of proportion. Second, How many affected vehicles are you talking about here, altogether and post April, 2019 build date?

Seriously, I am sick and tired of this Sasquatch crap. Yes, a few trolls have came on the forum throughout the years and have said stupid stuff—I am not here to defend any of it. And yes, one guy recently acted like a complete moron when nothing was wrong with his vehicle. With that being said, I am not on the forum to deal with conspiracy theories every time something is brought up about the Gen 2. This is the Raptor forum—not Info Wars. Why don’t you take your Sasquatch concerns to Alex Jones? Lol

@GCATX asked a warranted question and it is just disregard in the name of it being “Sasquatch related.” I am not rereading through this long thread. But as I noted before and @GCATX did too, @FordTechOne posited dates that were suppose to include new parts to be implemented to resolve the issue. I thought the dates were April/May. But maybe the dates were August like @NASSTY said. I don’t know. I am not bringing this up trying to criticize @FordTechOne. I, along with others, are simply wanting insight into the issue and appreciate his help.

If anyone brings anything up about the Gen 2, someone comes along questioning the statistical percentage of how many vehicles actually have a problem. I don’t know how many trucks have had issues and neither do you so cut the crap. I didn’t insinuate or say that a majority of the vehicles are having the problem. But that doesn’t mean there is not a problem. There is no consistency to the issue: some have beaten the daylights out of their vehicle and have had no problems, while others have babied their trucks and had problems. You would think the opposite would be true. It seems more like Russian roulette. Yes, I know the explanation for why the cam phaser issue happens. But it is still hit or miss. Yes, every vehicle has their problems. But this problem has been recorded on three model years of the Gen 2 and is unacceptable for it to continue any longer on Ford’s flagship engine.

Last edited by a moderator:

SleekMagnetic

Reaction score
I live close to Bozard. They are suppose to be one of the top dealers in the country. So is that where you bought your Raptor from? They have to be an hour and half away from you lol.

Yes sir! Actually almost 2 hours from me. Best decision I’ve made regarding vehicles. This dealer/service center is top notch and very deserving of the high accolades.

Truck: 2017 802a. 39k miles. 6/17 build date.

First start: absolutely amazing. Quiet.
First drive: Holy crap - the truck hasn’t driven this well since I drove it off the lot! Felt like a brand new truck. I previously had drivability issues (felt like timing was off, truck would stutter, rough idle, absolutely terrible under throttle/boost. On top of this, the transmission was honestly shit (rough, clunked, indecisive on gear selection, hesitant to downshift under throttle modulation, etc.) when I say it felt brand new, I’m not exaggerating. None of these issues were prevalent. The tech said he reflashed my truck to the newest PCM tune (effectively wiping my Cobb stage 1), however I believe the Cobb TCM tune is still installed. I plan to drive it around for a few weeks as it is and monitor everything. When I get bored of the power I’ll reflash the stage 1.

total cost: $0 (to me). Almost $4k to ford

Last edited:

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Yes, every vehicle has their problems. But this problem has been recorded on three model years of the Gen 2 and is unacceptable for it to continue any longer on Ford’s flagship engine.

Right, and I think @FordTechOne put it rather well in a previous post, and I’m paraphrasing here but, the failure to properly park, and subsequent rattle on cold soak start up -is- resolved by the SSM. That’s not the fix to every single problem.

Numbers are numbers and even Bernie Bro math won’t make them irrelevant. You can obsess over cam phasers or drive the truck and live life.

I’m going to be in for service on the moon roof soon. Again. Statistically, very few folks with the moon roof have the broken tracks. I suppose I’m an overachiever. The concerning thing for me about that issue is that I don’t think the current track is broken, but the dealer will probably pull them and replace rather than try to adjust and calm the rattle. I may need to go to another dealer to facilitate a proper repair.

Things happen. Just because they happen to us respectively doesn’t mean the sky is falling in on ever other Raptor owner.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
It’s not a Sasquatch issue. @FordTechOne or the parts did not work because we have Raptors built past that date with those same issues.

I don't want to get cross with anyone, but I keep seeing this. I haven't seen anyone say theirs was built after the date, and failed. Again, maybe I missed it. Maybe someone "reputable" will post up some proof?

Either way, I will just keep on trucking with 37.5k quiet miles.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I (and I am not saquatch thank you very much) never said the phaser part number never changed.

Caught you lying again Sasquatch. You stated the following:

WOW! This is some real misleading stuff. What in the heck are you talking about here? If you follow your logic and roll back to 7/10/2018, your point of "all phasers good after that" is complete crap. There are plenty here with build dates after that which have the problem. I guess I can't change your mind. Sounds like all phasers are still bad, and there is still nothing new for dealers to install.

So, buyers really need to know that all 3.5 cam phasers on the raptor are suspect to failure. There is no new design, and nothing being replaceid will fix t.

So the part number changed, but there is nothing different? All you do is spread speculative and/or blatantly false information. You are not contributing anything but confusion to this forum.

It has changed quite a few times over the years because ford can't figure out the design for it.

Wrong again. Where are your facts to back up your ridiculous statements? You have none, you're a troll.

Phaser rattle does get progressively louder/worse, not longer. That has been repeated here several times, so I am not sure where you are coming up with your information.

Wrong again. This has been explained to you multiple times and you still reiterate the same information. A failed cam phaser noise will always be the same intensity. The duration is what changes. You are not a technician, you are not an engineer, you are not anything. You have ZERO credentials yet you run your mouth as if you have insider information or even understand how cam phasing works. Stop spreading false information and confusing people.

If you truly are a Ford tech, I would never allow you to work on my stuff.

Nobody cares. You don't even own a Raptor, you're a troll trying to stir the pot.

Last edited:

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is definitely something that starts off as a slight rattle and gets worse. @WraptorBoy is correct in saying that the faint sound now will only get worse and louder. Ford service centers are also telling people to wait until it gets louder. That right there sounds good enough to me that these parts wear, and then get worse to the point of replacement.

For clarification, that is 100% wrong, Sasquatch.

Clearly you don't understand cam phasing or anything automotive for that matter. Stop pretending you have any clue what you're talking about; all you do is stir the pot with false statements.

How do you have any clue what "Ford Service Centers" are saying when you don't even own a Raptor? Everything you post is either hearsay or just plain wrong.

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure why tempers get so out of hand so quickly around here anymore, but I would appreciate if we can keep this thread on track please. I just reloaded my BAN-15 and I'm not afraid to use it. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.