Cam Phaser/Engine Failure Reports

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What does it affect then? if the rattling is just a nuisance and not causing damage, why fix it?

Because the locking pins in the phasers have failed, causing them to "park" improperly on engine shutdown. When you start the engine and the phasers receive oil pressure, they rattle. This issue has existed since cam phasing was invented, but unfortunately these engines received defective phasers from the parts supplier which has caused the issue we're seeing. It can't really get worse once the phasers stop parking, but why would you want the issue?

I guess I don't understand. If there is a TSB issued for this, wouldn't that mean there was some kind of problem it causes for the engine?
From what you are saying, it sounds like you want people to disregard the sound and all will be fine. Is that what you mean? I had mine replaced and the service people said that it needed fixed right away so I didn't lose the timing chain too. My repair did not get a new chain.

Certainly it is a problem, hence the TSB. The cam phasers don't park on their locking pins properly on engine shutdown, which causes a rattle noise on a cold start when oil pressure reaches the phaser cavities. Please read the SSM I posted...I am not saying to "disregard the sound", I am saying that the SSM indicates that there will not be any negative long term durability affects on the engine while owners wait for parts to be ordered and fullfilled. The timing chain is NOT the problem nor does it need to be replaced, the service advisor that told you it needed to be fixed right away or you'd "lose the timing chain" was misinformed.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My truck had PID errors at high RPM, stumbling (sounded like it was choking) and limp mode with a flashing CEL. They replaced the phasers and the problem went away. I had multiple P030X codes and even P0300 (general misfires). The P030X codes were seldom the same ones, ie it might be P0302 and P0304 this time and P0306 and P0301 next time.

I agree there is an issue with the pins not locking them into place at shutdown, but my problem went a bit beyond that. Now it’s back to rattling and making odd noises under full grunt at 15,000 miles (no CEL yet), exactly 15,000 miles since the phasers were replaced at 20,000. $3800 will be one heck a sting at 15,000 mile service intervals.

Lastly, variable cam phasing has been around since at least the 90s, this is my first vehicle that’s had issues with them, and round three currently. At this point I’m wondering what Ford Engineering has missed? Was there a talent pool drain in Detroit? Did engineers leave MI for places like SoCal to work for Toyota? Idk...

I agree it's not common, and I'm certainly not trying to make excuses.

When were your phasers replaced? The new part numbers have been in the parts depots since early September. If you had the phasers replaced before that, there is a chance you got the old part numbers, which will of course exhibit the same issue.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I agree it's not common, and I'm certainly not trying to make excuses.

When were your phasers replaced? The new part numbers have been in the parts depots since early September. If you had the phasers replaced before that, there is a chance you got the old part numbers, which will of course exhibit the same issue.

What "PID" were you looking at with the engine at high RPM? I haven't seen that personally, but if you have information on it I'm certainly open to gathering more information on the issue.

r3run33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine in for repair. has everyone had their trucks back to PRE PROBLEM. sound and performance?? just trying to get all info once repaired etc. thanks. also does anyone know when they NEW phasers where put into production? friend looking at a 2019. JUNE 19 build. would this one have the NEW phasers? any ideas??

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
mine in for repair. has everyone had their trucks back to PRE PROBLEM. sound and performance?? just trying to get all info once repaired etc. thanks. also does anyone know when they NEW phasers where put into production? friend looking at a 2019. JUNE 19 build. would this one have the NEW phasers? any ideas??

New Phasers were implemented into production 4.8.2019.

OPT PRIME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New Phasers were implemented into production 4.8.2019.

Mine were before this however the replacement phasers had different part numbers as well.

Have no idea how he came up with the PIDs while driving it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

pastorwug

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Been 17 days, mechanic broke the water pump gasket yesterday and has to get one from Nevada, of all things. SM agreed that my repair has been WAY too long, and mistakes have been made.
Amazing that a large dealer does not have a single water pump gasket in stock with all the F-150s they sell in the farming industry here. SM had no answer.

Ckhris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guarantee its a delay or some other BS. I cant tell u how many times they have lied to me when mines in the shop. Review the dash cam footage proved it.

bunkisland

Reaction score
I would like to start a log of anyone that has had or is going through a cam phaser/engine failure issue. Looking to get build date, whether you had a tune or any engine mods, whether Ford fixed it under warranty. My thinking is that it might be useful for anyone that goes through this and faces a warranty denial to be able to fight Ford’s decision with. What do you guys think?
How can you tell if you have the problem? I have a faint tick at startup.

Status
Not open for further replies.