Cam Phaser/Engine Failure Reports

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dealer told me that my cam phasers were the worst they had ever heard.
We're not just imagining this.
Dealerships have better things to do than tear down the top end of these engines to replace all the cam phasers because an owner is imagining a noise.
Never said anyone was imaging it. Just that all the videos I heard and watched sounded like the normal cold start and was wondering if people were confusing cold start with the cam issue. I'd never actually heard it and had that video not been posted, I would/could have thought my raptor had that issue. If you have no reference, it's hard to know for sure.

And yes, a dealership would tear apart a perfectly good truck for warranty work. Dealerships make money in the service departments.

pastorwug

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Going on over 2 weeks now, every day a different excuse for not finishing the job at the dealership. Stopped by to see what was happening today and they were waiting on parts again. 1 other truck waiting for the same repair, and parts.
Somehow (?) the thermostat housing broke in the process so they're looking for another one of those as well.

Patience!

MDD

Reaction score

MDD

Reaction score
Going on over 2 weeks now, every day a different excuse for not finishing the job at the dealership. Stopped by to see what was happening today and they were waiting on parts again. 1 other truck waiting for the same repair, and parts.
Somehow (?) the thermostat housing broke in the process so they're looking for another one of those as well.

Patience!

I’ve really lost faith in my local dealers Ford, VW, Dodge and Toyota for even the most basic stuff. For the most part they have incompetent people doing regular service. Dodge scratched all 4 wheels on my Jeep SRT-8 on tire change (wheels $2k ea). Wife’s 4Runner wheels were over torqued to the point that it took a 4’ pipe and breaker bar to loosen. Found out in the side of the road! VW stripped the thread in the oil pan plug and $7k later to replace the oil pan (under warranty thank goodness). Both the raptor and my GT350 apparently they are incapable of wiping oil change spillage off and I get oil on the garage floor after oil change.

you can imagine my skepticism when they “don’t hear anything!”

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Patience!
Has anyone actually had a failure related to this issue? Or is it just all preventative?

Per the SSM, engine durability is not affected:

SSM 48272 - 2017-2018 F-150, 2018-2019 Expedition/Navigator - 3.5L EcoBoost - Ticking/Tapping Or Rattle Type Noise On Start Up After A Cold Soak
Some 2017-2018 F-150s built on or before 10-Jul-2018 and 2018-2019 Expedition and Navigator built on or before 8-Apr-2019 with 3.5L EcoBoost may exhibit tick, tap, or rattle type noises from top of engine front cover for 2-5 seconds after a cold start. A TSB is expected to be published late 4th quarter 2019. In the interim, replace all 4 VCT units and update the PCM calibration. Do not replace other cam drive related components unless inspection identifies a concern. Refer to the Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 303-01. Claim labor replace VCTs using published labor operations and PCM programming using M-time. Part availability is currently limited. Dealers should order parts only when required to complete a repair. Once the parts are ordered, the vehicle may be returned to the customer to drive. This condition does not affect long term durability or performance.

Kuan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Per the SSM, engine durability is not affected:

SSM 48272 - 2017-2018 F-150, 2018-2019 Expedition/Navigator - 3.5L EcoBoost - Ticking/Tapping Or Rattle Type Noise On Start Up After A Cold Soak
Some 2017-2018 F-150s built on or before 10-Jul-2018 and 2018-2019 Expedition and Navigator built on or before 8-Apr-2019 with 3.5L EcoBoost may exhibit tick, tap, or rattle type noises from top of engine front cover for 2-5 seconds after a cold start. A TSB is expected to be published late 4th quarter 2019. In the interim, replace all 4 VCT units and update the PCM calibration. Do not replace other cam drive related components unless inspection identifies a concern. Refer to the Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 303-01. Claim labor replace VCTs using published labor operations and PCM programming using M-time. Part availability is currently limited. Dealers should order parts only when required to complete a repair. Once the parts are ordered, the vehicle may be returned to the customer to drive. This condition does not affect long term durability or performance.

What does it affect then? if the rattling is just a nuisance and not causing damage, why fix it?

Status
Not open for further replies.