Cam Phaser/Engine Failure Reports

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zekjet

Reaction score
I dropped my 2018 off at a large Western North Carolina dealership on 4/06/20. Three weeks now, they can’t procure the cam phasers from Ford. Blamed on Covid 19, I get it, but before I dropped it off, they assured me the can get the parts in one or two days. If your dealership can get the parts, you are lucky.

loupuleff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like I'm starting to get it in my 18 at 25k miles it's worse in the morning but better when it gets warmer outside. This really sucks especially if they knew this was a problem and they kept putting these motors out I cringe at bringing my truck to the dealership never know what you'll get but after my chevy shake Silverado and now this I'm debating never buying american anymore sorry to say !!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Looks like I'm starting to get it in my 18 at 25k miles it's worse in the morning but better when it gets warmer outside. This really sucks especially if they knew this was a problem and they kept putting these motors out I cringe at bringing my truck to the dealership never know what you'll get but after my chevy shake Silverado and now this I'm debating never buying american anymore sorry to say !!

Do you know what your build date is?

They fixed the part some time in 18 (@FordTechOne), but I forgot the exact cutoff. They released a final repair and, I BELIEVE, apart from a coupe of bad ones, it's been resolved.

ReRun

Reaction score
Just dropped mine off yesterday. I have an 18, July build with 28k miles.

I also let them know that if they need to order parts then I’d come pick it up until all the parts are in since it won’t hurt to drive it.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score

ummm, soo, ahhh......you're just not going to buy a truck then? Or you'll buy a Tundra that dates its R&D/tech & torquless wonder of a V8 back to Obama's first term? Still running on a bitch boy C channel steel "frame"? Ohhhh, no I get it, you'll be rocking a Titan XD right? 100k warranty baby! bahahhahahhahahhhahahhahhahahahhaha

I came from a '15 Sierra 6.2 & had the lifter issue, had some shakes, etc. - STILL - did EVERYTHING better/faster/harder/nicer than my '08 Tundra. If GM or Ford or Ram just kept refining & tweaking & widdling away @ the same design for 15-20 years w/ zero regard for keeping up w/ your peers in the industry, flushing MPG standards down the toilet, well yeah....they'd probably wind up w/ a near flawless vehicle, w/ a design so dated its almost not even in the same vehicle category any longer. Its not a 1/2 ton, its a 1/3 ton w/ the fuel economy of an HD gasser circa '88

its a F'n joke of a truck by today's standards. Period.

RaptizedBK

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend me a dealer to go to around NYC, NJ area. Anyone that had this issue already.

Hey, from Brooklyn here and I just bought my truck CPO from Smithtown Ford out in LI. I had run a carfax before buying it and noted that it had the cam etc replaced in March of this year at 19k miles. Confirmed with the dealer prior to purchase that they used part # recommended here. Don't have a lot of experience with them but they seemed to be able to speak to the situation well and mentioned they have done the work on several raptors.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Comments like that are ridiculous. This has nothing to do with being "American". American manufacturers make the best trucks in the world, period. GM, Ford, and RAM don't have near 100% of the commercial market by accident; companies buy fleets based on reliability and cost to operate. But that doesn't guarantee that any mass produced vehicle will be 100% issue free; that is why you have a warranty. The Tundra and Titan aren't even comparable; the Titan ranks lowest in quality, capability, and reliability while the Tundra is an out dated dinosaur with technology from the Bush era and a notoriety for severe frame rot and cam tower oil leaks. If you think that replacing phasers is an intrusive repair, you should see what it takes to re-seal cam towers on a 3UR; it's one step away from pulling the heads off. And yes, the 2020 models still have the same issue because Toyota does not believe in updating their ancient and flawed engineering. Even after the repair, they all eventually leak again. Let the unsubstantiated stigmas die off already.

What is a Chevy "shake" Silverado?

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
What is a Chevy "shake" Silverado?

He probably means the motor mount issue. My wife's '18 Escalade had to have the driver mount replaced at around 35k miles. The whole truck would shake at idle, the rubber in the mount breaks down and the motor is basically resting on the frame. I think they called it grounding out.

tom wansor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, from Brooklyn here and I just bought my truck CPO from Smithtown Ford out in LI. I had run a carfax before buying it and noted that it had the cam etc replaced in March of this year at 19k miles. Confirmed with the dealer prior to purchase that they used part # recommended here. Don't have a lot of experience with them but they seemed to be able to speak to the situation well and mentioned they have done the work on several raptors.
I saw that truck at Smithtown when I was looking to buy new. Gave up 9n them when they would not budge from 5k over MSRP.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
He probably means the motor mount issue. My wife's '18 Escalade had to have the driver mount replaced at around 35k miles. The whole truck would shake at idle, the rubber in the mount breaks down and the motor is basically resting on the frame. I think they called it grounding out.

Makes sense. I'm guessing they were hydraulic fluid filled mounts; better NVH isolation but at the expense of the chance of leaking fluid.

Hopefully weren't $600 like the failure prone "active" motor mount that Honda on it's V6 models.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jumpcutter