Help Support Ford Raptor Forum by donating:

Cam Phaser/Engine Failure Reports

Discussion in 'Ford Raptor Engine Discussion and Performance Mods' started by Quaesta, Dec 5, 2018.

1. WraptorBoy

WraptorBoy 2019 Sep/Oct build

Agree 100%.

I most definitely have the sound. It's not the full blown rattle at this point and so far hasn't, that I can tell, gotten louder. But I DEFINITELY have the sound and I am pretty sure trouble will follow when I start racking up the miles and a few years on it.

FordTechOne states the issue is binary (you have it or you don't). This is true since the issue he is referring to is the phaser locking pin snapping off. Fair enough.

However, the noise you and I (and others) have is the same sound, just scaled down in volume and this noise has never been explained.

My guess is the rattle is quiet and, over time, the vibrations of that rattle cause the pin to snap off and you get the full blown issue. But those phasers are definitely rattling back and forth for me, now, and is most certainly not normal.

This and the clunky powertrain is unacceptable at any price point, let along THIS price point.

This was the first ford I bought new and will be my last. Dumping it just before the warranty runs out... TOYOTA QUALITY here I come!

2. Donmatteo

Donmatteo Full Access Member

Bye

3. GCATX

GCATX FRF Supporting Member Supporting Member

Yeah, this guy was all in a tizzy about phasers even before he even got his truck. If I remember correctly, he was posting non-stop about them, then "Says" he got the truck, and what do you know, it makes a funny noise. Guy is either a troll or the most sensitive SOB around. Either way, he seems deserving of a toyota.

4. TwizzleStix

TwizzleStix FRF Supporting Member Supporting Member

Yep, he(?) should step lively so the door doesn’t hit it in the ass on the way out...

FordTechOne, Donmatteo and tom wansor like this.
  5. WraptorBoy

WraptorBoy 2019 Sep/Oct build

Your comment of constantly repeating yourself proves that you are truly... an IDIOT.

Anything to get away from assholes like YOU.

GCATX likes this.
  6. MnFlyer

MnFlyer Full Access Member

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FordTechOne and Booth9999 like this.
  7. Donmatteo

Donmatteo Full Access Member

D6407367-B99B-4F4B-BA8E-F6C01F97CC39.jpeg

Booth9999 likes this.
  8. Booth9999

Booth9999 FRF Addict

I’m not sure how the sound is related to the phasers, but I had the same loud noise (sounded like my old diesel). Once the phasers were replaced “CD” it sounds smooth as ever and the noise is gone. Maybe 3000 since repair...

Donmatteo likes this.
  9. charlieh313

charlieh313 Member

What dealership did your phaser replacement? Did you have any mods on the truck?

10. FordTechOne

FordTechOne Full Access Member

Have fun with your Toyota "quality". They're outdated, rust prone junk with decades old technology, and yet they still have major issues. Cam tower leaks are the norm.

Have fun having your engine torn down to the point of camshaft removal in order to fix a leak that will reoccur due to poor design:

https://www.tundras.com/threads/cam-shaft-tower-seal-leaking-please-read.20102/page-3

Once they fix your cam tower leak 3 times under warranty, this will be your next dilemma:

https://www.autoblog.com/2016/11/14...cmpJhtGOTzxghMTBgBiwMM4bGp3MRVXhGPYe0N9KqItLL