Cam Phaser/Engine Failure Reports

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Your comment of constantly repeating yourself proves that you are truly... an IDIOT.

Anything to get away from ******** like YOU.

Name calling is not welcome here.

Noticed your location is "US"...why are you afraid to provide details? Something is not right here.

alphatwox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have fun with your Toyota "quality". They're outdated, rust prone junk with decades old technology, and yet they still have major issues. Cam tower leaks are the norm.

Have fun having your engine torn down to the point of camshaft removal in order to fix a leak that will reoccur due to poor design:

https://www.tundras.com/threads/cam-shaft-tower-seal-leaking-please-read.20102/page-3

Once they fix your cam tower leak 3 times under warranty, this will be your next dilemma:

https://www.autoblog.com/2016/11/14...cmpJhtGOTzxghMTBgBiwMM4bGp3MRVXhGPYe0N9KqItLL

:happy107::happy107:

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score
What dealership did your phaser replacement? Did you have any mods on the truck?
PM me if you want the dealer; I had only down pipes installed at that appointment (deavers and RPG bump kit, lots of lights, fuse panel, etc. but. no motor mods).

LordExplorer

Reaction score
My ‘19 is in getting cam phasers replaced. Here’s my back story as I didn’t think I had a cam phasers issue.

Few months ago my truck threw a power train failure and went into limp mode. Dealer said it was a PCM failure. The PCM was replaced under warranty. Since then the exhaust has made this sputtering sound (see vid), especially pronounced at cold start. The exhaust sounded like crap all the time while driving but sputtering was most noticeable at cold start. Took back to original dealer who replaced the PCM. They had it for four days and they said they acknowledge that it doesn’t sound right but can’t do anything because there wasn’t a fault light. Basically they’re a bunch of a-holes. Took it to another dealer on Monday. Showed them videos and they kept it over night. Next day I received call that they believe it’s the cam phasers causing the exhaust to sputter. Said it should be completed today and once completed they’ll do a diagnostic to make sure exhaust sounds right. Much happier with this dealer as they seem to actually care. Can’t wait to get my truck back and have the exhaust sound right as I absolutely love this truck.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
They had it for four days and they said they acknowledge that it doesn’t sound right but can’t do anything because there wasn’t a fault light. Basically they’re a bunch of a-holes. Took it to another dealer on Monday.

That’s a chicken $hit response. You should not let that go. At least complain to Ford Customer service. While on one hand it is good that they admitted they weren’t smart enough to fix it, Ford should have to pony up for stupidity that costs us money.

I can imagine several possible responses to the equivalent scenario:

“Top, look, I know this m4 is malfunctioning, and it doesn’t sound right when I cycle the action, but it puts holes in the target”

Likely, piece of that m4 would still be embedded in parts I don’t want to think about.

It would be nice if service departments like the one mentioned above would at least try. I realize not all of them are like that and there are some really talented troubleshooters and techs out there in the field, but service departments like this one give all mechanics a bad rep.

LordExplorer

Reaction score
Alright. It’s official. Ford as a company seriously sucks balls and doesn’t care about their customers. Just went into service department to talk to manager. As I stated in post above they said the cam phasers needed to be replaced. Said it would be done Friday. Came and gone. Called the SA on Saturday and lvm to get update. Didn’t hear back. Called Monday lvm and didn’t hear back. Called yesterday and texted but didn’t hear back. Called SM this morning and didn’t hear back. So I went into shop since no one at ford cares to tell me what’s up with my truck. The SA said the same as other dealership. They acknowledge the truck doesn’t sound right and that the cam phasers should be replaced but Ford won’t authorize them to do the work. Said when they hook up the IDL (or something like that) the readings are within perimeter so, even though they agree something is wrong with the truck and sounds like crap, ford won’t let them do anything. They’ve been sitting on it trying the IDL (or whatever it’s called) each day to see if perimeters change. SA and ST say I should just take it home and drive it until it’s worse. WTF kind of response is that. Fix my ******* new truck!

Just got off the phone with FCS and they have opened a case and are going to look into it. So for now, my truck sits in a lot. I can’t believe a company won’t fix something that’s under warranty and their techs say something is wrong. I love this truck so much but this has soured me on Ford CS. If they won’t fix it then I’ll have to look into a buyback but no idea how that works or if they’ll agree to it. Might be stuck driving a new 75k truck that sounds like shit and doesn’t run optimal. Rant over for now

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Seems like you have a dealer problem, not a problem with Ford. Go to another dealer?

Right. What he said. Ford is troubleshooting the problem based on the symptoms and the symptoms don’t match a cam phaser issue. What will replacing those parts buy you if that’s not the problem? Excessive downtime, and a repeat engagement because the parts replaced weren’t related to the problem.

part of a senior tech’s job is to not waste the customer’s time. This is Ford doing that.
The stealership needs to either reassign the work to someone more qualified, or recommend a dealer service department who can troubleshoot it accurately.

i would note, they’re working on a power plant that isn’t exactly rare, so if they’re having trouble with troubleshooting this power plant, they should possibly consider a career change.
Ask Ford CS to recommend next steps for problem resolution, not inclusive of take it home until it gets worse.

LordExplorer

Reaction score
Update on this: once I got FCS involved the service manager stepped up and pushed authorization through to replace cam phasers, before even talking with FCS rep. It’s in bay getting worked on now.

As was voiced earlier by another member, I do have a concern that the cam phasers aren’t the issue. SA said that the cam phasers can impact the exhaust (the sputtering I posted prior) but I also didn’t have the telltale racket at start, or at least that I could tell. We’ll see. Hopefully it’s all good as we have a 3k mile road trip in two weeks. I’d be very sad, and emasculated, if we had to take my wife’s damn mini van on that trip.

Alright. It’s official. Ford as a company seriously sucks balls and doesn’t care about their customers. Just went into service department to talk to manager. As I stated in post above they said the cam phasers needed to be replaced. Said it would be done Friday. Came and gone. Called the SA on Saturday and lvm to get update. Didn’t hear back. Called Monday lvm and didn’t hear back. Called yesterday and texted but didn’t hear back. Called SM this morning and didn’t hear back. So I went into shop since no one at ford cares to tell me what’s up with my truck. The SA said the same as other dealership. They acknowledge the truck doesn’t sound right and that the cam phasers should be replaced but Ford won’t authorize them to do the work. Said when they hook up the IDL (or something like that) the readings are within perimeter so, even though they agree something is wrong with the truck and sounds like crap, ford won’t let them do anything. They’ve been sitting on it trying the IDL (or whatever it’s called) each day to see if perimeters change. SA and ST say I should just take it home and drive it until it’s worse. WTF kind of response is that. Fix my ******* new truck!

Just got off the phone with FCS and they have opened a case and are going to look into it. So for now, my truck sits in a lot. I can’t believe a company won’t fix something that’s under warranty and their techs say something is wrong. I love this truck so much but this has soured me on Ford CS. If they won’t fix it then I’ll have to look into a buyback but no idea how that works or if they’ll agree to it. Might be stuck driving a new 75k truck that sounds like shit and doesn’t run optimal. Rant over for now

Status
Not open for further replies.