Cam Phaser/Engine Failure Reports

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joefadams

Reaction score
Well I’m next up ‍♂️ 2018 06/18 build date, only recently crossed 10k miles. Loud ticking constantly but no cold start sound until about two weeks ago then went away recently. This morning driving my son to TBall game about a block from the fields thankfully all hell broke loose. Really loud metal on metal grinding type sound, check engine light immediately came on and began flashing nonstop. Truck went full limp mode, consistent metal grinding sound and steering got extremely tight as I carefully got it to a parking spot. Had it towed today to a friends shop to remove the DTE plug and play tune before it goes towed to the dealer Monday. Will update after diagnosed but seems like cam phasers and then some.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well I’m next up ‍♂️ 2018 06/18 build date, only recently crossed 10k miles. Loud ticking constantly but no cold start sound until about two weeks ago then went away recently. This morning driving my son to TBall game about a block from the fields thankfully all hell broke loose. Really loud metal on metal grinding type sound, check engine light immediately came on and began flashing nonstop. Truck went full limp mode, consistent metal grinding sound and steering got extremely tight as I carefully got it to a parking spot. Had it towed today to a friends shop to remove the DTE plug and play tune before it goes towed to the dealer Monday. Will update after diagnosed but seems like cam phasers and then some.

A cam phaser issue won't cause a "loud metal on metal grinding sound", cause the CEL to flash, nor cause a loss of power steering. A flashing CEL indicates a potential catalyst damaging misfire, and limp mode accompanied by a loss of power steering indicates a power/ground or network issue. Considering you had an aftermarket tune plugged into the DLC at the time of failure, that is your most likely root cause. Remove the plug/play tune and re-evaluate.

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Everything you described is NOT the cam phaser issue.

lawdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2018 is in the shop at a better dealer now (prior one denied they had ever heard of cam phaser issues), other work being done. They confirmed cam phaser issue, say parts are one month out on backorder. This is nuts.

Joefadams

Reaction score
Well just dropped at dealer today after plug and play tune removed. Made Cam Phaser sound on startup CEL active and as the tow truck driver put it “feels like it is driving on 1-2 cylinders this thing lost all power”. We will see.

Webb24

Reaction score
Took my 18' in on Feb 24th. After showing them a video and waiting around an hour they confirmed the bad cam phasers. Driver side seat warmer also not working. Called last Monday and they said they had the revised parts no problem but they were waiting on a loaner vehicle and that is why it is taking so long. Confirmed to them I still need a loaner and haven't heard from them in a week. Starting to get frustrated as I have only had the truck a month and not put 1000 miles on it. The start up sound seems to be getting louder and I think the timing chain is making a noise. I have a 100 mile trip coming up and I am worried about taking it.

Denvertaco07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update on this: once I got FCS involved the service manager stepped up and pushed authorization through to replace cam phasers, before even talking with FCS rep. It’s in bay getting worked on now.

As was voiced earlier by another member, I do have a concern that the cam phasers aren’t the issue. SA said that the cam phasers can impact the exhaust (the sputtering I posted prior) but I also didn’t have the telltale racket at start, or at least that I could tell. We’ll see. Hopefully it’s all good as we have a 3k mile road trip in two weeks. I’d be very sad, and emasculated, if we had to take my wife’s damn mini van on that trip.

What dealer is doing the work?

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My 2018 is in the shop at a better dealer now (prior one denied they had ever heard of cam phaser issues), other work being done. They confirmed cam phaser issue, say parts are one month out on backorder. This is nuts.
FYI you can drive the truck until the parts come in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.