Broken locking lug nut

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blbeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These sockets work.
Took my car to get new tires and when it was time to rotate the tires I realized that they never returned my key lock so back to the shop and within 10 minutes they removed all 4 lug nuts.
Glad I never had a flat while driving.

OP
OP
matrix243

matrix243

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might pose to be a challenge actually. Dealer sent a pic of it half split so the sockets won't have much to grab.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Yeah, I’ve seen this happen and have seen the befuddled look on some friends faces when they realize there are wheel locks on their car and they don’t have the key.

Here’s what you can do; use a socket that is marginally bigger than the diameter of the wheel lock. A socket that you’re not emotionally attached to.

Hammer the socket on to the wheel lock with a BFH.
Ensure it’s “on” the wheel lock

use a socket drive and breaker bar to remove the lock.
I’ve seen this done twice and done it myself once.

Good luck.

OP
OP
matrix243

matrix243

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking either that or using the kit socket and one of those adjustable T style breaker bars to get a center torsion so the socket doesn't twist off torward where the opening is.

WNtOaEE.jpg

OP
OP
matrix243

matrix243

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Plus a $**t ton of penetrating oil.

There's about 1/2" of meat left at the bottom base that hopefully the socket can get a hold of.

OP
OP
matrix243

matrix243

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Option 2 is welding a nut on the end and filling in a bit of the opening. Isolating the stud and wheel from heat.

Option 3 is just chipping away at it till there's nothing left. Too bad there isn't a small version of a air hammer with sharp chisel.

OP
OP
matrix243

matrix243

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have a question on dealership damage. So this lock set is a factory ford part, aren't they liable for damages? They can probably pass it off still to whoever torque them down previouis, which was another ford dealer.

s-l640.jpg