GEN1 Shifter Clicks Crunches Grinds Gets Stuck 2010-2014 F150 2009-20014

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FP Forged

Justin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently had an issue with my shifter. It started making a plastic crunching noise when shifting from Drive to Reverse or Park. Sometimes it felt like something was going to break when I forced it into Park. I figured out what the issue was but I am posting this in case anyone else has this same problem. I googled so many variations of clicky crunchy shifter and couldn't find anything described that way. But it literally sound like plastic crunching when you shift. You can feel it in your hand as well. Most posts and articles say it's the shifter cable or bushings.

From what I understand, this arm that broke off is for enhanced feedback when shifting from one position to another. It creates a more pronounced "thump" into your selected drive gear. You can see the little bumps that it travels over when changing shifter position. I removed the panel around the shifter and lifted the shroud around the shifter to get to this piece. Mine was broke at the top towards Park. So any time I tried to shift to reverse or park it would get stuck on each bump. Some people have the opposite issue where it breaks on the bottom and makes it hard to shift into R N D M 2 1 from Park.

I removed mine and now it's back to normal. Not sure if there is any other use for this arm outside of shifter feedback. Maybe @FordTechOne knows something about this piece. Although he'll probably just point out the bigger issue... It's a peasant GEN1 :laughing1:

Here are the other posts I found after an extensive search

BTW that dirty truck in pic one is not mine lol. Just for reference.

1702661418928.jpeg
1702661439182.jpeg
1702661457787.jpeg

tltoronto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same thing happened to my shifter about 6 years ago, that tab broke off. I cleaned it, and used 2 part epoxy to glue it back together, with the spring tension off to let it dry, left it for a day, and hasn't been a problem since.