broken coil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pa raptor

Reaction score
So a month and half ago I got my coil spring replaced because it broke. It blew out over the night and my alarm went off just like the other person. It took out the CV and Axel. Got it fixed paid $1,200 they looked everything else over, and including the other spring. No damage to it When they did their check. I was driving down the highway with my 4 month and 9 year old, going to science center and almost lost control on the turnpike because the other one busted going over a tiny bump in the road, I know Pa. roads are bad but this bump was nothing. Today I took it back to the dealership with other cases of this happening. I’ve had two cases just on my truck alone. I don’t off-road it or take it off jumps and never really even drive it.13EE04A8-5B25-4944-8DAD-F96D5D4510DA.jpeg
This picture is the first one that blew a month and half ago
A5B1F8E5-677C-4074-8546-F0F97596293B.jpeg
This is the picture of the one that didn’t break yet, when the left one gave out.
21A9D698-7D3C-4FCB-BA91-A26FCFBEEFEF.jpeg
This is the picture of it now. My truck is 2018 Ford Raptor with 27,107 miles, the first one blew 500 miles before the second coil spring gave out.

Last edited:

Pa raptor

Reaction score
There hasn’t been anything published regarding the coil spring. I would be curious to know if any of the affected vehicles had the coils or shocks serviced at any point, such as by the dealer for a warranty issue or by the owner or shop to change/upgrade the shocks. The springs have a coating on them that can be damaged by spring compressors; once that is compromised, corrosion can build up in the damaged area and migrate under the coating.

If the springs were never serviced, the best course of action would be to file a case with NHTSA. They track reported safety related issues, and if a trend/pattern emerges they will contact the manufacturer for a possible recall.
Dealership just filed to the NHTSA for my case. Looking on their website there was a lot of suspension issues but nothing regarding the coil spring. To me is hard to believe these aren’t covered under warranty, so the parts aren’t sent back for further inspection. No one else has filed, but I’m seeing this issue alot around the same mileage. This is a serious issue not only the driver can get hurt but everyone around them on the road. If Ford doesn’t handle this I’m telling you it will look very bad for them in the end if this isn’t done right.

Last edited:

Pa raptor

Reaction score
Have to imagine a batch of bad steel or heat treating that should be identified and recalled with so many showing up here.
I hope so because this is not only dangerous for people on the road but the Ford Mechanics working on these trucks and to think any giving moment this could happen, because it’s happening just sitting there let alone putting it up and down on the lift or something little as just changing a tire.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So a month and half ago I got my coil spring replaced because it broke. It blew out over the night and my alarm went off just like the other person. It took out the CV and Axel. Got it fixed paid $1,200 they looked everything else over, and including the other spring. No damage to it When they did their check. I was driving down the highway with my 4 month and 9 year old, going to science center and almost lost control on the turnpike because the other one busted going over a tiny bump in the road, I know Pa. roads are bad but this bump was nothing. Today I took it back to the dealership with other cases of this happening. I’ve had two cases just on my truck alone. I don’t off-road it or take it off jumps and never really even drive it.View attachment 418083
This picture is the first one that blew a month and half ago
View attachment 418085
This is the picture of the one that didn’t break yet, when the left one gave out.
View attachment 418086
This is the picture of it now. My truck is 2018 Ford Raptor with 27,107 miles, the first one blew 500 miles before the second coil spring gave out.
It sure is starting to sound like a bad batch of springs. Hopefully they can track that lot of springs by VIN....

HighwaySentinel

︻デ┳═ー - - - - - - -
Reaction score
This thread is no joke. Those of you affected should be posting this information in other discussion forums as well to see if others are affected. Reddit, Facebook, etc...