GEN 2 BIG Brake Kits, who’s got what and how do you like it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I think I’m going to swap the lines for braided ones and see what that does. Then pads. I think the bottom line stopping power I’d probably fine for my needs but the feel is super squish.

shelteredraptor

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ended up going with R1 running giant 415mm front w/ 8 piston calipers and 385 rears w/ 6 piston. You need 22's to fit the 415's, but the 385's will fit in 20's. I replaced all soft lines with Crown's nice braided lines and these brakes will stop a freight train. IMO the stock brakes suck with 35's, and then put 37's on and it gets pretty sketchy. I had some issues getting the correct lines at first, but Crown came through and made some sweet parts up for me. Luckily, I wasn't sitting on some else's lift, so I wasn't too pressed for time.

Attachments

• 20170823_193814.jpg
    20170823_193814.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 125
  • 20170823_081329.jpg
    20170823_081329.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 115
  • 20171007_180608.jpg
    20171007_180608.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 107
  • 20170825_193305.jpg
    20170825_193305.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 104
  • 20170906_094401.jpg
    20170906_094401.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 113
  • 20170802_173415.jpg
    20170802_173415.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Looks good but what about this...?
2010-2018 Raptor Fitment: this kit does not fit 2010-2018 Raptors due to tie rod clearance issues, and Wilwood cannot guarantee that aftermarket tie rods will provide sufficient clearance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Didn't see that but the Alcon kit requires aftermarket tie rods too - I would bet the same tie rods would work with the Wilwood kit.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
As far as real world data, I only have it for the Alcon kits.

From 60mph - 0mph, the Deberti Raptor stopped in 90 feet with the Alcon kit installed front/rear. Now, this truck was riding on 39" BFG Projects on a race course and is highly modified, but the measurement was taken as 90 feet, which is the same as C7 Vette from 60-0.

Other real world testing was done from 75mph - 0mph. This truck did 3 runs with the stock brakes back to back and then 3 runs with the Alcon front/rear kit installed back to back.

Stock:
  1. 136 ft
  2. 161 ft
  3. 168 ft

Alcon:
  1. 125 ft
  2. 132 ft
  3. 132 ft

If y'all would like to discuss the various differences between the various kits available, I'd be happy to dive into a bit more detail.

This is the only reason I went with the 20” Rotiform SIX wheels and 35x12.5x20” Nittos.

I prefer 18” wheels but options are limited.

I wrote off Method wheels after they wouldn’t listen to my request for stainless steel bolts on my 18” NV that I ran on my 14 Raptor. Living in WI everything rusts. All they would send me are another set of zinc coated bolts.

The brakes were bad on the 14 but actually had better modulation.

I’m pretty sure everything will fit on the 20” Rotiform[emoji4]

Almost everything will fit with the Rotiforms with the exception of the Brembo 8-piston and R1 8-piston kits.

Looks good but what about this...?
2010-2018 Raptor Fitment: this kit does not fit 2010-2018 Raptors due to tie rod clearance issues, and Wilwood cannot guarantee that aftermarket tie rods will provide sufficient clearance.

It may fit, it may not. For used two different suppliers for the factory tie rods and there are fitment differences between the two. Some of the stock tie rods will work, other factory tie rods will not. We just did a Wilwood kit for a customer and the tie rods were not needed.

Didn't see that but the Alcon kit requires aftermarket tie rods too - I would bet the same tie rods would work with the Wilwood kit.

You have two options: You can do full replacement tie rods or you can run the ADD Tie Rod Adapter kit. It's a bit less expensive than the full kit at $550 and only replaces the tie rode end with a heim joint for added clearance instead of the full tie rod replacement.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've seen that Alcon Raptor data - Not sure if the truck was the same setup when they tested stock vs alcon though. You'd think they would make it an apples to apples comparison. I would love the Alcons and have them on my list but almost $7k is super steep. Not sure why they don't make the tie rods part of the kit since they are needed?

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I've seen that Alcon Raptor data - Not sure if the truck was the same setup when they tested stock vs alcon though. You'd think they would make it an apples to apples comparison. I would love the Alcons and have them on my list but almost $7k is super steep. Not sure why they don't make the tie rods part of the kit since they are needed?

The 75mph to 0mph tests were performed on the same truck, on the same day, with no changes between runs other than the brakes.

The Deberti Raptor, there was no before/after data.

OP
OP
brettmess24

brettmess24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Nick@appollo-optics Interesting on the tie rods from Ford. Any details or pics that compare the ones that do and do not work with the BBK?

The Alcon look like ass in the looks dept in comparison to all the other kits. Looks like they are steel and the others billet.

---------- Post added at 07:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:34 AM ----------

I ended up going with R1 running giant 415mm front w/ 8 piston calipers and 385 rears w/ 6 piston. You need 22's to fit the 415's, but the 385's will fit in 20's. I replaced all soft lines with Crown's nice braided lines and these brakes will stop a freight train. IMO the stock brakes suck with 35's, and then put 37's on and it gets pretty sketchy. I had some issues getting the correct lines at first, but Crown came through and made some sweet parts up for me. Luckily, I wasn't sitting on some else's lift, so I wasn't too pressed for time.

Nice set up and thanks for sharing!

Last edited:

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
@Nick@appollo-optics Interesting on the tie rods from Ford. Any details or pics that compare the ones that do and do not work with the BBK?

The Alcon look like ass in the looks dept in comparison to all the other kits. Looks like they are steel and the others billet.

Unfortunately, not yet. I’m working with our local Wilwood customer to see if we can find any differentiating information in his tie rods vs the tie rods that Wilwood tested that did not work.

As far as the look of the Alcon kit, the rougher finish is because the calipers are made of ductile iron and the others kits are aluminum. The benefit of iron calipers over aluminum is that they will not flex as they heat up and are more durable to impacts which better suits them for off-road applications.

OP
OP
brettmess24

brettmess24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah good to know! Ductile Iron is good stuff for brake rotors never knew they manufactured calipers out of it but makes sense for heat as well.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've got a Baer setup ready to go on my G1 pretty soon. Went with Baer over Alcon because Alcon required spacers to run 17" wheels.

If I was willing to run 20" wheels I would just get the Brembos and be done with it.

That said, I think if your truck is stock, you might just want to try stainless lines, good fluid, and super duty pads before spending a ton of money on aftermarket stuff.

---------- Post added at 11:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:31 AM ----------

I also wasn't crazy about the weight of the Alcon rotors and calipers.