Basic Needs for an Off-Road Expedition for a Daytrip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
LOL You can tell who's from the Great White North. The guys from the southern desert will chime in about shade and extra water any minute now.
Hey, I was in the desert in November in Death Valley (furnace creek ranch), it was freezing at night and 70 plus during the day, I think I would be fine without a candle being from the Great White North, but the valley boys might start calling their Mama's when the temp drops below 50f, lol.

PorterW1111

FRF Addict
Reaction score
TWO FIRE EXTINGUISHERS!!!!

I used to carry every tool possible in the back and of everything I had the only thing I ever used was the extinguishers. Not on my truck but on another’s in the pack. Extinguishers and at least one quick release mount or very easily accessible mount.

getting to a fire fast is the key and these trucks heat up when under a lot of driving. Something as simple as a harness tag rubbing against the manifold can turn ugly ( this is what happened to the guy in my group).

There is a ton of debate on value/cost and type. I can say the $15 marine/auto tank saved that dude’s truck. Maybe the $100 one would have been better but nonetheless get TWO extinguishers

OP
OP
ItsAMe

ItsAMe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TWO FIRE EXTINGUISHERS!!!!

I used to carry every tool possible in the back and of everything I had the only thing I ever used was the extinguishers. Not on my truck but on another’s in the pack. Extinguishers and at least one quick release mount or very easily accessible mount.

getting to a fire fast is the key and these trucks heat up when under a lot of driving. Something as simple as a harness tag rubbing against the manifold can turn ugly ( this is what happened to the guy in my group).

There is a ton of debate on value/cost and type. I can say the $15 marine/auto tank saved that dude’s truck. Maybe the $100 one would have been better but nonetheless get TWO extinguishers

Mount them in cab or in bed do yoou think? If I were to only get one?

PorterW1111

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had one in the cab and one in the bed. The idea about two is once you pull the lever on one it’s “done”. Let’s say you wait a while get everything cleaned up and then start the truck back up to start driving again and it catches fire again... just best to carry two. Buy one of the nice $100 ones with no powder and then get a backup cheapo for $15 at the auto store

PorterW1111

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Also recommend telling anyone your driving with where the extinguishers are located. So if someone needs one they can just snatch it off of your truck without telling you the whole story while their truck lights up. Lol

and as far as the radio, whatever you get make sure you lock the radio once you set the channel. Buttons can get bumped and the last thing you want is to not hear about an obstacle in the roadway cause your on a different channel.

Nate Bowler

Reaction score
Totally agree on the power built jack. However, I haven't found a good way to secure it into my bed. Any good ideas or suggestions?