Basic Needs for an Off-Road Expedition for a Daytrip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ItsAMe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've definitely come to the point that I want to take my 2020 Raptor out on some fairly easy to moderate off-trail adventures and put some of the components to work.

I'm going to keep it stock for now and maybe consider mods as I put more miles on it and things need to bew changed out.

With that in mind, I've come up with some basic things to do to it that means fun but also safety for any things that may come up off-roading. These are what I think I need but any additional advice on other small bits I may be missing? I think really I'm just asking what you guys think is the most basic essentials.

- CB Radio in case of cell phone reception loss.
- Recovery Boards
- An air compressor for airing up and down.
- Tire repair kit in case of multiple flats.
- Small sample of tools, maybe a ratchet drive also?
- Some extra water as it'll mostly be in SoCal desert environments.
- Gaia GPS on my iPhone through CarPlay

That's it off the top of my head but like I said, suggestions are welcome.

jakesford

Reaction score
Adding to the above:
Have some type of jack beyond the factory scissor jack - I use a bottle jack for cost / size / capacity.
I carry 4 chunks of 2x12’s to use as a solid base for jacks, etc.
A shovel
Kinetic recovery rope rated for your rig
Soft / metal shackles
Tree strap which works well as a bridal on recovery points.

Oh and actually test your gear, and check it all before going out. Try changing a tire off road with the gear you plan to have with you etc.

II Sevv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Adding to the above:
Have some type of jack beyond the factory scissor jack - I use a bottle jack for cost / size / capacity.
A shovel
Soft / metal shackles

Oh and actually test your gear, and check it all before going out. Try changing a tire off road with the gear you plan to have with you etc.
100% - and to build on that, it’s worth investing the time coming up with your own system of boxes and tie downs with which to store your gear, strap down a floor jack, etc. Never try to use a scissor jack. I’ve had them collapse. Also, assuming you haven’t bought them already, lumber from Home Depot is much cheaper than recovery boards and works just as well.

Depending on where you live and what type of off-roading you do, you might want to invest in some other upgrades as well. I hit two donkeys at 45 mph at night out in the Arizona desert, and my steel bumper that protected the front of the truck allowed me to drive home even though my door was smashed in and fender ripped off.

OP
OP
ItsAMe

ItsAMe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Adding to the above:
A shovel
Soft / metal shackles

Yes on the bottle jack. I was cosnidering a full blown off-road hydraulic jack but a bottle jack is a good interim device. And evrything else listed there will be added to my list so thanks. A shovel slipped my mind but absolutely necessary I think. And really the advice to change a tire before I go is awesome. Such a simple idea but so good. Thanks!

100% - and to build on that, it’s worth investing the time coming up with your own system of boxes and tie downs with which to store your gear, strap down a floor jack, etc. Never try to use a scissor jack. I’ve had them collapse. Also, assuming you haven’t bought them already, lumber from Home Depot is much cheaper than recovery boards and works just as well.

Depending on where you live and what type of off-roading you do, you might want to invest in some other upgrades as well. I hit two donkeys at 45 mph at night out in the Arizona desert, and my steel bumper that protected the front of the truck allowed me to drive home even though my door was smashed in and fender ripped off.

I've been looking at doing the Built Right Bed Plates for tying things down like Recovery Boards etc so I think that advice will push me to do it. Thanks!

You can never have too many tools, and don’t forget a first aid kit.

First Aid kit definitely. I've actually had one I grabbed from the Marine Corps when I was discharged 15 years ago and have had that in all of my vehicles since. Probably should check if anything needs updating so thanks for putting that in my head.

Christyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nobody really uses a CB much anymore, I'd like into a UHF/VHF race radio handheld like a Baofeng with the longer antenna and a list of common channels used.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074XPB313/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

The 8w model would be even better, but is twice the price.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MAULSOK/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

I'd say flashlight too if you dont have one in the truck already.

Also, assuming you haven’t bought them already, lumber from Home Depot is much cheaper than recovery boards and works just as well.

Lumber is heavier, and doesnt provide nearly the traction a board does, so...not really the same.

OP
OP
ItsAMe

ItsAMe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nobody really uses a CB much anymore, I'd like into a UHF/VHF race radio handheld like a Baofeng with the longer antenna and a list of common channels used.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074XPB313/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

The 8w model would be even better, but is twice the price.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MAULSOK/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

I'd say flashlight too if you dont have one in the truck already.

I have a small LED strip folding one flashlight, but I'll look into something more substantial.

As far as CB, yeah I need to do more research but those will put me on the right path. Thanks very much!

Christyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used one of those cheap ones for the last 5+ years with a slightly larger antenna and it has some great reach. I've finally got a real 55w ICOM mounted in the console now, they're great to have in groups. Law abiding types will complain you need a HAM license to use them, because you do, but......LOTS of people use them without one.

desertfox73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NOCO (or similar) battery charger. If you're planning to travel solo, having the ability to jump-start your own truck is essential. Small, lightweight, doesn't take much room.

As far as a bottle jack, I highly recommend the Powerbuilt 3-ton bottle jack/locking jack stand: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003ULZGFU/?tag=fordraptorforum-20. I've used them extensively and they work great. If the jack doesn't raise the vehicle high enough for you, you can always get a set of leveling pads for an RV and stack them underneath. Should give you plenty of height.

Kinetic rope is a must, as others have mentioned. Yankum and Bubba Rope are my recommendations there. I personally use this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01K2AH3F2/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

And though it's not technically something you "bring", tell someone exactly where you'll be going and when they should expect to hear from you if you'll be out of cell range.

Oh...and fireworks. Roman candles are fun to shoot, and can double as a flare if needed. :)