automatic braking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

highway420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 18 and the brakes were applied on mine. Similar to sixshooter's incident, it charged brakes and reacted sooner than I could and was already applying brakes by the time my hovering foot even made contact with pedal. Don't think it's only 19's and up. The ACC tech is what's used for this. These camera systems are constantly scanning/looking.
I also have experienced the curve into couple cars waiting to make left and had the system light up and start charging booster and few times started to brake a little.

what was added to 19's was the start/stop ability with the ACC.

Ski4Ever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These camera systems are constantly scanning/looking.
Just so there's no confusion, I'm pretty sure that the forward facing camera has NOTHING to do with the ACC and collision detection. It's the radar unit that is behind the bumper that does all of this...unless I'm misinformed!
what was added to 19's was the start/stop ability with the ACC.
What is the "start/stop ability"?

highway420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just so there's no confusion, I'm pretty sure that the forward facing camera has NOTHING to do with the ACC and collision detection. It's the radar unit that is behind the bumper that does all of this...unless I'm misinformed!
there's a camera system behind the rear view mirror that's used for this (and lane keep assist ) along with the radar unit in bumper, not the tiny one on the grill..

What is the "start/stop ability"?
Maybe I used wrong term. Stop and go. for Traffic. will come to complete stop and follow traffic at low speeds. 18 and below do not do this.

df4801

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a MY19 802A/Tech Package and can confirm, I had it automatically brake for me the other day. No need for the refrigerator box. Was running down a pretty tight 4 lane residential road going ~30mph and had a car in front of me make a right turn (no turn lane). I was far enough back and the timing was going to work out (by my figuring, apparently not by the truck's logic) that I wouldn't have to slow down, so I was coasting with my foot over the brake and as I got closer I got the beeps and then it SLAMMED on the brakes. It freaked me the hell out. It's really alarming having a vehicle do something that drastic on its own, especially if you're like me and are used to more analog vehicles.

So there I was, sitting there stopped in front of an empty side street needing a new pair of underwear.

If it happened like you said, then it sounds like its malfunctioning. I'd take it in to get looked at.

Ski4Ever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there's a camera system behind the rear view mirror that's used for this (and lane keep assist ), not the tiny one on the grill
Oh, I wasn't aware that the lane keep assist cameras also helped with the ACC and collision avoidance. Interesting!

Maybe I used wrong term. Stop and go. for Traffic. will come to complete stop and follow traffic at low speeds. 18 and below do not do this.
I've never let my '19 do this in traffic...I know that I can't set my cruise below 20, but that it will automatically slow down if a car is going slower than that, but I've never let it come to a complete stop in traffic and then let it follow the car once it moves again. Does that actually work in traffic? Will it follow at a close enough distance that everyone won't just be going around you and pulling in front? I thought I actually read something that said that it does not have the Stop and Go feature built into the cruise control? hmmm

highway420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never let my '19 do this in traffic...I know that I can't set my cruise below 20, but that it will automatically slow down if a car is going slower than that, but I've never let it come to a complete stop in traffic and then let it follow the car once it moves again. Does that actually work in traffic? Will it follow at a close enough distance that everyone won't just be going around you and pulling in front? I thought I actually read something that said that it does not have the Stop and Go feature built into the cruise control? hmmm[/QUOTE]

I have an 18, so i cannot give an answer to that. From what I understand, it's part of the ACC system, and may be a separate 'item' to turn on in menu. I live in LA, so it would never work here. And the ACC itself leaves too much room with the closest setting for drivers here and will just hop right in as if you were saving the spot for them. And then, of course the truck hits the brakes on the highway and just feels pointless. I'll use on longer trips and less crowded roads like 5 or 15 going up north.

Derail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Adaptive cruise is the only way the 2018 and older apply the brakes. I've had the alert and flashing lights on the windshield when it sees something it thinks is stopping in front of me, no braking. I have had Adaptive Cruise mistakenly apply the brakes hard while passing a Semi on Interstate.

Page 25 of the Raptor Supplement

COLLISION WARNING SYSTEM
Principle Of Operation (If Equipped)

WARNINGS
This system is an extra driving aid. It
does not replace your attention and
judgment, or the need to apply the
brakes. This system does NOT
automatically brake your vehicle. If you fail
to press the brake pedal when necessary,
you may collide with another vehicle.
The collision warning system with
brake support cannot help prevent
all collisions. Do not rely on this
system to replace your judgment and the
need to maintain correct distance and
speed.
Note: The system does not detect, warn or
respond to potential collisions with vehicles
to the rear or sides of your vehicle.
Note:The collision warning system is active
at speeds above approximately 5 mph
(8 km/h).
Note: The collision warning system will be
unavailable if you disable the electronic
stability control.

The system alerts you of certain collision
risks. The system's sensor detects your
vehicle's rapid approach to other vehicles
traveling in the same direction as your
vehicle.

When your vehicle rapidly approaches
another vehicle, a red warning light flashes
and a tone sounds.
The brake support system assists you in
reducing any collision speed by
pre-charging the brakes. If the risk of
collision continues to increases after the
audio-visual warning, the brake support
prepares the brake system for rapid
braking. The system does not
automatically activate the brakes, but if
the brake pedal is pressed even lightly, the
brakes apply full stopping power.

Using the Collision Warning System

WARNING
The collision warning system’s brake
support reduces collision speed only
if you brake your vehicle before any
collision. As in any typical braking situation,
you must press your brake pedal.
You can use your information display
control to adjust the collision warning
system's sensitivity or to turn the system
On or Off. Your vehicle will remember
these settings across key cycles. You may
change the collision warning system
sensitivity to any one of three possible
settings. See General Information (page
8).

Last edited:

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This system is nothing like the Audi or Volvo braking assist, cruise assist, so use this as you will.

highway420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Adaptive cruise is the only way the 2018 and older apply the brakes. I've had the alert and flashing lights on the windshield when it sees something it thinks is stopping in front of me, no braking. I have had it mistakenly apply the brakes hard while passing a Semi on Interstate.

Page 25 of the Raptor Supplement

COLLISION WARNING SYSTEM
Principle Of Operation (If Equipped)

WARNINGS
This system is an extra driving aid. It
does not replace your attention and
judgment, or the need to apply the
brakes. This system does NOT
automatically brake your vehicle. If you fail
to press the brake pedal when necessary,
you may collide with another vehicle.
The collision warning system with
brake support cannot help prevent
all collisions. Do not rely on this
system to replace your judgment and the
need to maintain correct distance and
speed.
Note: The system does not detect, warn or
respond to potential collisions with vehicles
to the rear or sides of your vehicle.
Note:The collision warning system is active
at speeds above approximately 5 mph
(8 km/h).
Note: The collision warning system will be
unavailable if you disable the electronic
stability control.

The system alerts you of certain collision
risks. The system's sensor detects your
vehicle's rapid approach to other vehicles
traveling in the same direction as your
vehicle.

When your vehicle rapidly approaches
another vehicle, a red warning light flashes
and a tone sounds.
The brake support system assists you in
reducing any collision speed by
pre-charging the brakes. If the risk of
collision continues to increases after the
audio-visual warning, the brake support
prepares the brake system for rapid
braking. The system does not
automatically activate the brakes, but if
the brake pedal is pressed even lightly, the
brakes apply full stopping power.

Using the Collision Warning System

WARNING
The collision warning system’s brake
support reduces collision speed only
if you brake your vehicle before any
collision. As in any typical braking situation,
you must press your brake pedal.
You can use your information display
control to adjust the collision warning
system's sensitivity or to turn the system
On or Off. Your vehicle will remember
these settings across key cycles. You may
change the collision warning system
sensitivity to any one of three possible
settings. See General Information (page
8).

Huh. Well, then I stand corrected. But not going to test it anytime soon. I just remember it actually doing more than just charging brakes and lighting up the HUD (which I think should be a tach read/redline when not in " HOLY SHIT THERE'S SOMETHING IN FRONT OF YOU " mode )

Sure felt the truck slow down more than just decelerating. Maybe when you have the ACC tech on it, it adds the braking then...? Either way, it's still better to have than not I feel.

FL4x4

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Raptor purchased at the end of June with every option available and this is what I know about mine:

First of all, one of the options listed on the window sticker was this: "ADAPT CRUISE-STOPGO-PRECOLLIS"

I have witnessed the system work like this:

I have had the Collision Alert! notice pop-up on my instrument panel a few times. Yes I'm a very aggressive driver.

What I've also noticed is that when the Collision Alert pops-up on the screen, there is NO Red LED strip that lights up and reflects off the windshield like on previous models of Raptors. I've looked at the dash and the LED strip is just not there.

Of the several times the Collision Alert has popped-up, Only once (so far) has the truck freak out and applied the brakes thinking I was about to crash us. It did this WITHOUT Cruise control being active, just driving in "Normal" drive Mode.

My Raptor also has a "Stop and Go" feature that I use daily during my commute to and from work in stop-and-go traffic.

It works like this. I set my cruise control (either moving or while stopped). The truck will then come to a COMPLETE STOP behind the vehicle in front of me on its own and holds the brake until either I take over or the vehicle in front of me moves. The moment the car in front of me starts moving, the truck will start moving and when the vehicle in front of me stops, so does my Raptor, without me doing anything.

There is a time out that kicks in if you're stopped in traffic for about 60 seconds or more, you'll see the word "STOPPED" displayed just above the lane keeping icons on the instrument panel. When this happens, the truck WILL NOT begin to move automatically until you press the "RES" (Resume) button on the steering wheel. I press "RES" as soon as "STOPPED" is displayed and that resets the 60 second timer and the truck will then automatically start moving again as soon as the vehicle in front of me does without me doing anything else.

I have a 2018 VOLVO XC60 Hybrid with "Pilot Assist" cruise control that does almost the same thing as my Raptor, except it also steers the car and is a little more advanced than the system in my Raptor, but they work very much the same way.

Bottom line is this for my 2019 Raptor:

1. My 2019 Raptor WILL (and has) apply the brakes if it thinks it's going to crash.
2. It can manage stop and go traffic by itself without me applying the brake or accelerator.
3. While cruising down the highway with the Adaptive Cruise Control Set it WILL apply the brakes when needed and even come to a complete stop and then resume moving without ANY input from me.
4. Some of these features such as PreCollision Alerts and Braking are disable in some drive Modes such as Baja.