automatic braking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dilmorecg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have not had my '19 brake automatically yet for me but Im pretty sure its designed to do it. One of the reasons I got the '19 over an '18 is because its supposed to have pre-collision assist vs. '18's just have pre-collision warning. They switched the radar in the '19 which is what made the assist possible.

Ski4Ever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someone should test this out with a big piece of cardboard (like an empty refrigerator box)...drive toward it with cruise control OFF, and see if the system automatically brakes, or just flashes the lights and the warning alarm. If it doesn't brake, you'll hit an empty box, destroy it, and nothing will happen to the truck. If you're lucky, the box won't be destroyed, and you can run another experiment where you test to see if the brake pedal is primed, etc. :)

Muchmore

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Someone should test this out with a big piece of cardboard (like an empty refrigerator box)

This won't work for me, my only old refrigerator box still has my ex-wife in it. Well, you know, I might be able to try this after all!! :D

CigarPundit

On the road to serfdom...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems pretty clear from the manual. Automatic braking comes on automatically every time you turn on the truck.

IMG_7698.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
I don’t think that is entirely correct.

What you’re describing is step two of the logic. If you let it go far enough step three will apply the brakes.

I don’t have the balls to test it out though since it seems the logic is based on closure rate not just distance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're correct it will apply the brakes even if ACC isn't on, I know because that's exactly what mine did. Not only did the alert go off but my incident would've been an imminent crash, however, the brakes were also heavily applied prior to me stepping on the brakes and it saved me from a crash.

I own a 2019 802A with Technology package.

Last edited:

Joe12345

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're correct it will apply the brakes even if ACC isn't on, I know because that's exactly what mine did. Not only did the alert go of buy my incident would've been an imminent crash, however, the brakes were also heavily applied prior to me stepping on the brakes and it saved me from a crash.

Yup, second day with my 19 and some idiot decided she needed to be in my tollbooth lane. She moved in and immediately slowed and my truck came to a damn near stop to keep me from rear ending her.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Someone should test this out with a big piece of cardboard (like an empty refrigerator box)...drive toward it with cruise control OFF, and see if the system automatically brakes, or just flashes the lights and the warning alarm. If it doesn't brake, you'll hit an empty box, destroy it, and nothing will happen to the truck. If you're lucky, the box won't be destroyed, and you can run another experiment where you test to see if the brake pedal is primed, etc. :)

Along those lines. Made me laugh when I first watched it.

Nickshu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^ Wow that's brave.

I wish the Raptor had an auto-hold feature that holds the brake on at stop lights for you. My last 2 cars had that feature, I sure miss it. All the hardware is there via the ACC, parking brake, and collision avoidance stuff on the Raptor to make that work, Ford just needs to add that feature for us.

TheBoctor

Reaction score
You're correct it will apply the brakes even if ACC isn't on, I know because that's exactly what mine did. Not only did the alert go off but my incident would've been an imminent crash, however, the brakes were also heavily applied prior to me stepping on the brakes and it saved me from a crash.

I have a MY19 802A/Tech Package and can confirm, I had it automatically brake for me the other day. No need for the refrigerator box. Was running down a pretty tight 4 lane residential road going ~30mph and had a car in front of me make a right turn (no turn lane). I was far enough back and the timing was going to work out (by my figuring, apparently not by the truck's logic) that I wouldn't have to slow down, so I was coasting with my foot over the brake and as I got closer I got the beeps and then it SLAMMED on the brakes. It freaked me the hell out. It's really alarming having a vehicle do something that drastic on its own, especially if you're like me and are used to more analog vehicles.

So there I was, sitting there stopped in front of an empty side street needing a new pair of underwear.

CigarPundit

On the road to serfdom...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a place on my morning commute where the pre-collision warning has gone off a few times. It doesn't happen every day, but when it does, it is always in the same place and never was there even the slightest danger of an eminent collision. Hasn't slammed on the brakes though (thankfully). I've been trying to figure out what is causing it, but so far I'm stumped.