Any Input on the Nitto Recon Grappler?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Keith88

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Interesting. Just fast wear? Irregular wear? Rough ride? What made them a let down?
Nitto Ridge Grapplers
Toyo RT
Toyo AT3

All of them suffered from becoming very loud after 10k miles... wore super fast ( RT looked horrible) ... SUCKED (ridge grappler should be noted as the WORST tire ive ever driven in wet/snow/ice) in winter conditions. And all expensive as hell. I bught so many sets of Nitto/Toyo tires that they sent me swag and a plaque for my garage. I spent so much money cause I was always told "these are the best" The only good toyo tire out there is the Toyo MT. Buts that MY opinion.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Nitto Ridge Grapplers
Toyo RT
Toyo AT3

All of them suffered from becoming very loud after 10k miles... wore super fast ( RT looked horrible) ... SUCKED (ridge grappler should be noted as the WORST tire ive ever driven in wet/snow/ice) in winter conditions. And all expensive as hell. I bught so many sets of Nitto/Toyo tires that they sent me swag and a plaque for my garage. I spent so much money cause I was always told "these are the best" The only good toyo tire out there is the Toyo MT. Buts that MY opinion.

Pretty much the exact opposite of your experience with the RGs on every point. :shrug:

I've had no issues with the Ridge Grapplers in the rain. I've driven them thousands of miles in the rain at highway speeds with no problems. It goes, stops, turns, and doesn't hydroplane on every puddle.

Given the lack of siping, I can see them not being good on ice. Dedicated winter tires are usually siped nearly to the point of them looking like the end of a deck of cards. I've seen plenty of guys tearing it up in the snow around here on old school M/Ts without any siping. I don't take my truck into that shit anymore though, got tired of buying new trucks after the salt eats them.

I also have no issues with them getting "loud". I rotate every 5K miles and I'm just over 20K on mine so far. They have worn very evenly, and slowly as well. I run them at 35 PSI usually.

I didn't think they were "expensive as hell" either. They were comparably priced to the other options I was looking at, but I think I did find a sale on them which wsa nice. Only the Cooper STTs were signnificantly cheaper - as Coopers normally are.

Keith88

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Nitto Ridge Grapplers

Pretty much the exact opposite of your experience with the RGs on every point. :shrug:

I've had no issues with the Ridge Grapplers in the rain. I've driven them thousands of miles in the rain at highway speeds with no problems. It goes, stops, turns, and doesn't hydroplane on every puddle.

Given the lack of siping, I can see them not being good on ice. Dedicated winter tires are usually siped nearly to the point of them looking like the end of a deck of cards. I've seen plenty of guys tearing it up in the snow around here on M/Ts without any siping though. I don't take my truck into that shit though, got tired of buying new trucks after the salt eats them.

I also have no issues with them getting "loud" either. I rotate every 5K miles and I'm just over 20K on mine so far. They have worn very evenly, and slowly as well. I run them at 35 PSI usually.

I didn't think they were "expensive as hell" either. They were comparably priced to the other options I was looking at. Only the Cooper STTs were signnificantly cheaper - as Coopers normally are.
I wish i could say the same as you and your Nitto/Toyo experience. Aside my the MT... not the tire brand for me.

Sonicsunspot

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nitto Ridge Grapplers

Given the lack of siping, I can see them not being good on ice. Dedicated winter tires are usually siped nearly to the point of them looking like the end of a deck of cards. I've seen plenty of guys tearing it up in the snow around here on old school M/Ts without any siping. I don't take my truck into that shit anymore though, got tired of buying new trucks after the salt eats them.

I also have no issues with them getting "loud". I rotate every 5K miles and I'm just over 20K on mine so far. They have worn very evenly, and slowly as well. I run them at 35 PSI usually.

I didn't think they were "expensive as hell" either. They were comparably priced to the other options I was looking at, but I think I did find a sale on them which wsa nice. Only the Cooper STTs were signnificantly cheaper - as Coopers normally are.
Yeah, I am at 55k on my Ridge Grapplers and no issues at all. At about 45k they started getting loud, about like my original K02s were at 38k.

In other words had great experience with the RGs. Saw Recons on a Raptor and they look great.

ViciousRaptor13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nitto Ridge Grapplers
Toyo RT
Toyo AT3

The RT comment is accurate . That tread pattern, if not rotated regularly and air pressure not exact, gets chopped up super quickly. The new RT Trail looks great and i might consider it for my next set. I am on my 3rd set of Toyo AT3's.

ToadSmasher2K1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve been eyeballing the Falken RT01 for my next set. Holding back because I do not want an E rated tire…

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter