Any Input on the Nitto Recon Grappler?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aandrews109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow impressive on the mileage on your K02s. I got right at 40k out of mine. Anyways, I had the Recons put on my ‘19 last week, have 50 miles on Them now. For those who are wondering, the tires are very quiet, very little noise when new, zero thrum. My K02s were increasing in perceptible noise as they worn down but we’re never that bad. The Recons track very well in straight line. I did not perform any realignment, they are spot on out of the shoot. Recon LTs are 10 ply so definitely stiffer side wall. I liked running my K02s at 34psi. I got in the habit of tweaking the pressure as needed to keep the tread wear center to edge even across the tire. I bought the truck with 27k on them, previous owner had over inflated the tires and they were running a little thin down the center. Back to the Recon, Sidewall stiffness is noticeable a little “jouncy” but not harsh see psi below. The do seem to bite and take steering input a little sooner, so small adjustment in driving style may be needed. Discount Tire inflated Recons to 38psi cold, by the time I got home they were at 41psi. That’s too high for my liking, I have lowered to 34psi cold definitely a little softer but still more firm than the K02s. I really did like the unexpected plush ride in the K02s -6ply. Current assessment is all positive. Need to put some miles on them…. Until next time.
Pretty much same results with my Recon Grapplers. Have mine at 38 psi in the front and 32 rear. Still may be a little too much up front. Definitely stiffer sidewall and a bit firmer ride. Not bad just more firm. Have about 350 miles on them now and am going to get rebalanced around 500 miles.

aandrews109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, put almost 500 miles on the Recon Grapplers and decided to go back to the KO2s.
Kudos to Discount Tire for standing behind what they said they would do!
No questions asked other than for feedback purposes.
The Recon Grapplers are definitely NOT Bad tires, are relatively quiet, and I did like the looks.
The ride is a bit stiffer than I like personally and the KO2s seem a little more sure footed in the rain/wet, so I decided to go back to the KO2s.
Have owned 1 set of the Original KOs and this will be my third set of KO2s.
Have had good luck with the previous three sets and am expecting the same from the new tires.

JCSRaptor

Reaction score
Following up on previous post. My Recons now have 3k mi on them. Took a long road trip from TX to SC. The Recons remain very quiet. So far so good. Took the truck through the Tail of the Dragon twice and really enjoyed the Recons stiffer sidewalls for tighter cornering. Great tire on the road!!! Now dry performance is great. Had very little rain so cannot comment on wet performance just yet. Had the truck up over 100mph. They seem to be better than the KO2s at high speed in that they instill more confidence with their straight line steer bite on the asphalt/concrete and lateral stability when changing lanes and passing. They are now broken-in. Looking forward to some off roading. Hope to get out sometime in November. Will update with off-road performance later.

Sonicsunspot

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am also curious to see feedback - but I have a few questions too. Somewhat confused about the options available. Tried chatting with Nitto but still confused.

So the Recons seem to come in regular (AT???) and LT versions. Nitto told me both will work on my 2018 Raptor. But I am still not convinced this is true as I can’t seem to find any info on them. I only tow a couple times a year for short distances so non-LT would be fine for me if I can get them (someone said ride would be too squishy???). I also do a lot of highway driving.

Nitto said product number for “non-LT” is 218800 which is priced same as LT.

Anyone have experience with these tires and know anything about LT versus the non-LT (or are they called AT)? By the way, I assume AT is simply all-terrain.

ViciousRaptor13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am also curious to see feedback - but I have a few questions too. Somewhat confused about the options available. Tried chatting with Nitto but still confused.

So the Recons seem to come in regular (AT???) and LT versions. Nitto told me both will work on my 2018 Raptor. But I am still not convinced this is true as I can’t seem to find any info on them. I only tow a couple times a year for short distances so non-LT would be fine for me if I can get them (someone said ride would be too squishy???). I also do a lot of highway driving.

Nitto said product number for “non-LT” is 218800 which is priced same as LT.

Anyone have experience with these tires and know anything about LT versus the non-LT (or are they called AT)? By the way, I assume AT is simply all-terrain.
What size? 315/70R17? I would say the ply rating and speed rating are different between the two. The NON-LT version will most likely ride a little better. Tread Depth is also different.

Keith88

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have never been more let down and left feeling robbed than I have buying Nitto/Toyo products.