Any Input on the Nitto Recon Grappler?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aandrews109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Getting a set of 35 / 12.50 R 17 E rated Recon Grapplers installed on my '19 tomorrow. Tried but couldn't get Discount Tire to install the 315/70's because they a SL Rated which is lower than the C2 of the KO2's.

I've gotten 45,000 on my original KO2's and could probably get another 10,000+ at least out of them (8/32 Tread left). I also spend most of my time on the pavement and am concerned about the ride. My KO2's have served me well, but like you, I was looking for a change. Manager at Discount talked me in to trying the Recon Grappler and assured me that If I wasn't satisfied, he would take them back and install a set of KO2's. I guess time will tell!

Got my hands on some 2022 Raptor wheels and am mounting the Recons on them. Also did some pressure / load calculations on the E-Rated Recons vs the C2 BFGs and am gonna run about the same pressure front and rear as I've been running. 36 Front and 32 Rear. The BFGs have worn perfectly at these pressures. I also live in the Florida Panhandle and am not too worried about snow performance.

OP
OP
mprice1234

mprice1234

Gen 1 Rules
Reaction score
Good luck on the Recon's I really liked the looks and was going to go with them but since no OEM size available and not winter snow rated, I went with the Falkens. They have not disappointed!

aandrews109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the Recons installed this morning. They are much quieter than the OEM KO2's with 45,000 miles and the KO2s aren't terribly loud. Truck actually seems to have less body roll and I'm sure this is due to the stiffer sidewall on the E Rated Nittos vs the C2 Rated KO2s. Not sure what the earlier version KO2s were rated but the 315/70 R17s that were OEM on my truck are C2's.

I like the look of the Nittos but will have to see how they compare on the longer term. Measurement wise, they are roughly 1/2" narrower than the KO2's and 1/2" taller on the truck. KO2s still have 7/32 Tread @ the 45k mark. Nittos weight in at 67 lbs vs about 64 for the KO2s.

Haven't had a chance to hit the highway yet to see if they make more noise at speeds over 50 mph.

JCSRaptor

Reaction score
Getting a set of 35 / 12.50 R 17 E rated Recon Grapplers installed on my '19 tomorrow. Tried but couldn't get Discount Tire to install the 315/70's because they a SL Rated which is lower than the C2 of the KO2's.

I've gotten 45,000 on my original KO2's and could probably get another 10,000+ at least out of them (8/32 Tread left). I also spend most of my time on the pavement and am concerned about the ride. My KO2's have served me well, but like you, I was looking for a change. Manager at Discount talked me in to trying the Recon Grappler and assured me that If I wasn't satisfied, he would take them back and install a set of KO2's. I guess time will tell!

Got my hands on some 2022 Raptor wheels and am mounting the Recons on them. Also did some pressure / load calculations on the E-Rated Recons vs the C2 BFGs and am gonna run about the same pressure front and rear as I've been running. 36 Front and 32 Rear. The BFGs have worn perfectly at these pressures. I also live in the Florida Panhandle and am not too worried about snow performance.
Wow impressive on the mileage on your K02s. I got right at 40k out of mine. Anyways, I had the Recons put on my ‘19 last week, have 50 miles on Them now. For those who are wondering, the tires are very quiet, very little noise when new, zero thrum. My K02s were increasing in perceptible noise as they worn down but we’re never that bad. The Recons track very well in straight line. I did not perform any realignment, they are spot on out of the shoot. Recon LTs are 10 ply so definitely stiffer side wall. I liked running my K02s at 34psi. I got in the habit of tweaking the pressure as needed to keep the tread wear center to edge even across the tire. I bought the truck with 27k on them, previous owner had over inflated the tires and they were running a little thin down the center. Back to the Recon, Sidewall stiffness is noticeable a little “jouncy” but not harsh see psi below. The do seem to bite and take steering input a little sooner, so small adjustment in driving style may be needed. Discount Tire inflated Recons to 38psi cold, by the time I got home they were at 41psi. That’s too high for my liking, I have lowered to 34psi cold definitely a little softer but still more firm than the K02s. I really did like the unexpected plush ride in the K02s -6ply. Current assessment is all positive. Need to put some miles on them…. Until next time.