already tired of hearing about the frame....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

debate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same with the Raptor, it's still an F-150, and they utilized the regular f150 frame.

What's your analysis of the heavy rear axle strikes pulling the top of the beds away from the Raptor cabs?

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
You would want to raise the cost of the truck by 10k for a small design change so small portion of the people can run their truck beyond its capabilities? You do realize that with that aftermarket bump installed the crumple zone is totally changed right? You are talking about millions of R&D to have a different frame just for the Raptor... How about a option that Ford would offer something different but, in turn you sign off all frame and suspension warranty and crash...

I'm not sure he is ever going get it...

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You would want to raise the cost of the truck by 10k for a small design change so small portion of the people can run their truck beyond its capabilities? You do realize that with that aftermarket bump installed the crumple zone is totally changed right? You are talking about millions of R&D to have a different frame just for the Raptor... How about a option that Ford would offer something different but, in turn you sign off all frame and suspension warranty and crash...

Ding ding ding! Anybody here ever read of the Shelby Supersnake Carbon Fiber hood debacle? A $20,000 hood! You know why?

Shelby lowering price of $20k GT500KR hood after web outrage erupts
Shelby's Owens took pains to explain that not only is the part in question the only full carbon-fiber production hood available in a U.S. vehicle (read: it's expensive), it has gone through the same exhaustive certification procedure as any other OEM product – including crash testing (read: really expensive).

"I will tell you – there was no less design, engineering and testing - that went into this component... than goes into any other component in the exotic car world. It was the single biggest piece of this program."

As simple as modifying the frame of the Raptor from the factory seems, it's no different than modifying the hood of a mustang to make it a shelby version and requiring gobs and gobs of money to do it. To change the Raptor frame it would require a TON of money for the R&D engineering, as well as a TON of money for crash testing and certification and all that nonsense that nobody stops to think about when they just ramble on about how SVT should just to this or that to fix the problem. It comes along with MILLIONS of dollars that would need ot be spent to "just" tweak the frame here or there. And all that would have to be passed along to the Raptor owners, and I sure as heck wouldn't select that $20k option for a trophy truck frame, versus the no charge standard f-150 frame equipped Raptor lol

What's your analysis of the heavy rear axle strikes pulling the top of the beds away from the Raptor cabs?

the same as my analysis of ventilating holes in the Lightning blocks. Ford did a hell of a job utilizing what they had on hand (5.4 rods, regular f-150 frame) and doing the best they could to use what they had to make one badazz truck in either case, but there are natural limitations, and if you choose to drive beyond those limitations, expect to pay.

EITHER way you'd be paying. If Ford had put factory forged internals in the Lightning so it could handle 700 rwhp factory, or if Ford designed a custom one off frame for the Raptor so it could handle foot tall curbs at 100 mph, the trucks would have cost SEVERAL thousand dollars more brand new...for EVERYBODY. They wouldn't have broken at the limitations they are now, but EVERYONE would have paid more for it up front.....OR......as they are now, those that are going to drive beyond those natural inherent limitations, they'd eventually find the breaking points, and have to shell out several thousand to fix it. In either case you're paying for it, but in the 1st case, everyone is paying for it whether they'd need it or not. Goes right back to my main point, Ford did the best they could, with utilizing what they had, while keeping cost realistic. It's a mass produced special edition of a f-150, not a hand built one off trophy truck.

Maxx2893

Rock and Roll Offroad
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah ford could have made this truck completely different than anything else they offer by using completely different everything that went in to this truck. BUT they cut they cost down by basing it off and f-150.

If it wasn't based off an f-150 and was a completely different vehicle. It would have the price of the Ford GT

LSURaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're agreeing that the middle/rear frame connections on the damaged Raptors yielded down under very heavy axle strikes?

Who gives a shit how it yielded? The point is that for a few grand over a regular F-150, you get one that's a whole lot more capable. Completely re-engineering the frame to account for what a small percentage of users would face would adds significant cost that most buyers get no real value out of.

What do you think sales numbers would look like if the price was %10 higher? %20? I'd wager it will drop off pretty steeply. Otherwise, we'd all be driving $75K Velociraptors if money wasn't an issue.

The only problem with the frame is that it's not indestructible but nothing is so all frames have the same "problem."

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As simple as modifying the frame of the Raptor from the factory seems, it's no different than modifying the hood of a mustang to make it a shelby version and requiring gobs and gobs of money to do it.

This is where you are mistaken... Its way different than a hood... The hood will never cause a fuel leak... One tiny stiffing addition to the frame and the whole frame needs to be re-designed... A change from a aluminum hood to a carbon hood isnt that big...

NY SCREW

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Still didn't bend my frame going over that kicker :popcorn:

if you of all people couldn't replicate the bent frame then i dont know what to say .When someone who breaks things just so he can upgrade them cant break something it speaks volumes imo

Status
Not open for further replies.