Acceleration response time

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

recurve69

Reaction score
Another thing to think about is installing a pedal commander. I've had it in my last 3 F-150's and would not go any other way. You don't end up with more power just amazingly quicker shifts.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Another thing to think about is installing a pedal commander. I've had it in my last 3 F-150's and would not go any other way. You don't end up with more power just amazingly quicker shifts.
Pedal commander only changes the APP ramp rate to trick the PCM; it does not change the transmission calibration. They often can cause DTCs and “limp” mode, because the PCM will eventually determine that the modified APP signal is outside of the factory algorithm. Better to just use Sport mode.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Pedal commander only changes the APP ramp rate to trick the PCM; it does not change the transmission calibration. They often can cause DTCs and “limp” mode, because the PCM will eventually determine that the modified APP signal is outside of the factory algorithm. Better to just use Sport mode.

I think this is more prevalent on the ‘19+ MY Raptors and people using the PC who probably shouldn’t have access to electronic device programming.

PC race +2 or greater is not “linear” it’s basically a binary throttle. anything more than tip in and you’re calling up all 18PSI boost at like one inch of pedal. Keep that thing dialed down to the city modes and it behaves more like a normal throttle.

You have to be realistic.

Sport mode is significantly better and yes, it bitterly clings to those RPMs but you get to appreciate that after a while. Bonus: if you’re doing mixed driving, the economy hit is minimal, if any. That is, if you drive the same way, which you won’t because sport mode encourages hooligan like behavior.
but if you make yourself drive normally, like if your family is in the truck, but you just have sport mode on instead of normal, it’s really ok. A lot more ok than normal mode.

Also, Sport will protect you from inarticulate manual mode downshifts. Manual mode will let you downshift pretty much regardless of the rpms, so if you left paddle 3 times and are suddenly tach-ing 5500 rpms, you’re about to pin the rev limiter, lose about .75 seconds of forward thrust before throttle comes back. Sport on the other hand won’t downshift stupidly like some of us are able to.
:)

Keshka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
....along the lines Smurfslayer is saying. What I have done so far when I want "bark" NOW. I am normally in sport mode while in traffic. If I see and "opportunity" coming up I tap the paddle twice and floor it. She jumps pretty nice then.

I have not hammered her from a dead stop though so I will have to play to see what she does and try different modes. Last week when in the desert and baja mode...no lag, just bark (and spin!).

Granelli

Reaction score
The reflash from ford changed things a little bit with how the powertrain performs. For the best launch, 4a, traction and stability off, brake boost and go! It will spin the tires in 4a if you get it right.

jonboy

Reaction score
Both great suggestions. I’m sure it felt like an eternity, and in reality it was less than .2 seconds. I know of what you speak, but I was already moving when I discovered that normal eco mode is WEAK and lazy. In my case I rolled into the throttle while moving and the truck would not downshift from 10th but dumped all 18# of boost for what seemed like forever but was probably like 2-3 seconds.
that V6