Acceleration response time

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rangerrwh

Reaction score
The other day was the first time I’ve ever fully went from sitting idle to full throttle, “pedal to the metal” and was shocked at how much lag time until it responded (with great power I might add). I’m glad I now know how much time to give myself the next time, because I was pulling out of a traffic jam and going into an unused offramp lane and saw a truck coming from behind but with plenty of space for me to get out in front so i thought I’ll punch it and be well in ahead, but when it seemed like forever to respond kinda scared me a bit cause I thought uh oh i didnt want to pull out in front of this guy. At the last second power kicked in and i was out in front with no problem. Is this normal to have a momentary non response, what can be done to make acceleration more responsive? I‘ve had this 2020 for year n a half and I’m not racing anybody so I guess not to important just curious though.
Google MPT tunes. Check out their PRX tune. It will change everything. Trust me. Better throttle response, scary power, better handling. The already supedup truck comes alive.

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you want the turbos to spool up quicker from a dead stop idling @ 600RPMs you need to get your RPMs up a bit. Either get moving at a slow roll and throttle it. Or if you really want to get moving in a hurry from a stop, hold the brake and give it some throttle at the same time until your RPMs are anywhere from 1100-1500 and it will take off like a bat out of hell.

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My 2012 3.5 ecoboost F150 has a Banks tune, (capable of 440hp/560ftlbs), a stock powertrain, & slightly taller tires with a street tread. It will occasionally spin the tires or experience wheel hop when I'm not trying to drag race. In 4wd with traction control off this thing will do a rolling start that constantly surprises the cars next to me. I guess they just see an old man driving a random pickup truck with shovels & stuff until it spins all 4 tires and passes them :)

OP
OP
Macdaddy

Macdaddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, everyone’s right, should put in sport mode. I was doing my regular run to a job but always in “normal mode”, but had a sudden desire to get out of the traffic jamb saw a way to make a move and didn’t think about “modes” and just punched it. Next time I’ll think before react. But that 1 sec acceleration delay woke me up, thought truck died for a moment but then when it did respond it was like a “bat outa hell” fast even in normal mode. Love this truck

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Yep, everyone’s right, should put in sport mode. I was doing my regular run to a job but always in “normal mode”, but had a sudden desire to get out of the traffic jamb saw a way to make a move and didn’t think about “modes” and just punched it. Next time I’ll think before react. But that 1 sec acceleration delay woke me up, thought truck died for a moment but then when it did respond it was like a “bat outa hell” fast even in normal mode. Love this truck

There are a few Raptor quirks.
As others have indicated normal (really eco) mode has a throttle map that is significantly under “one to one” throttle press as related to actual throttle output. Sport is way better but it doesn’t really behave well until you have mud and sand or similar off road mode.

When the 2017 was first press intro’d and driven, there were only a few comments about this, and I think it was because the F/P staff covered it before hand and I think did a good job playing this lazy programming down. I remember a comment about the modes that “if you floor it in normal mode, you get full power just like any other mode”. Left out of that was that unless you floor it, your shifting won’t be like a true ‘normal’ mode and the throttle map is designed solely for economy. The lazy shifting in normal mode is my one real ‘complaint’ about the truck.

Electronic nannies on the Raptor are like Chitown voters - they are in early and often. If there is a HINT of wheel spin or spin plus off center drive (like a drift) power is cut QUICK and it lasts for a good long time. Raptor Assault will show you this when you navigate the gravel course in ’normal’. To be fair, they do kind of need to. The stock KO2’s are excellent all purpose tires but despite their size, they will break loose all too easy on pavement.

I’ve found a few oddities with the shift program.
- in normal mode: take off, make abrupt stop, take off again hard. I had a pedestrian jump in front of us way way outside the x-walk, then though better of it. I was mid intersection and needed to clear quickly so I jumped back on it. Nothing I think it may be the sudden stop and electronic nannies, but I didn’t pay attention to the dash.

- sometimes when the truck is warm I have to stop and wait for the truck to downshift from 3rd to 1st. If I take off before this happens, it’s dog slow, then immediately downshifts to 2nd. Maybe these 2 things are related.

Even so 4a, traction control and stability control be damned, you can still get respectably sideways before Ford cuts the fun.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
When I am sitting in the usual bottleneck/traffic spots, I will lock out gears above 3. Won't help from a dead stop but keeps the revs up when you're creeping along and need the power quickly to cut someone off or whatever. :) Otherwise the tranny will go to whatever gear the computer thinks will get you killed.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
When I am sitting in the usual bottleneck/traffic spots, I will lock out gears above 3.
I always LOL when I hear Texans complain about traffic. Excluding Houston.
When I was still in Metro DC, aka “The DMV” I was commuting 55 miles, southern MD to national institutes of health in Bethesda. Within the same week I rode my bike and 1) made every traffic light (more than 20). Not a single red light, I didn’t downshift but once for the exit ramp and to turn on to my street. 2) 26 miles of crawling, 1st gear, no practical way to lane split traffic. My Texas experience with bad traffic: someone in front of me only doing 5 over the limit. :p
keeps the revs up when you're creeping along and need the power quickly to cut someone off or whatever. :) Otherwise the tranny will go to whatever gear the computer thinks will get you killed.
Sammy Hagar said it best: ‘One foot on the brake, and one on the gas’ .
Manual mode.

Ellison3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found rolling into throttle quickly works best vs. just punching it to the floor , you will get a lag but i think its more of the drive by wire throttle deciding what to do when hammering to floor. Drive by wire is a different beast , noticed that when i bought my 2010 raptor brand new vs my cable actuated throttle on 02 lightning.
I agree… 99% of the time I get a better response when I “roll” into the throttle as opposed to slamming it straight to the floor. There was that one time I hit it kinda hard, and it started pulling to the left very noticeably. If it weren’t for traction control I would’ve been facing in the other direction.

Also, as previously mentioned, I have a tune that has changed my throttle response. Much quicker to find the pedal position, and react to that position than it did before. Of course, a Full Race Freak-O-Beast mod helps that response time when it hit’s…

Diablo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to suggest the ONE other thing that it seems no one else commented about. He was at a complete standstill then hit the gas and it felt like awhile before it kicked in. Possibly the Auto Start/Stop had engaged and the motor had to basically turn back on. Super frustrating when you pull up to a stop sign with lots of traffic, come to a clean stop and the truck shuts down before you gun it to pull out into traffic.
Yeah but look at all the fuel you "saved", didn't that make you feel better?