Acceleration response time

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The dude went from sitting idle to full throttle. He didn’t experience lag, he experienced wheel spin and electronic correction. It’s a pickup truck with offroad tires; you can’t mash the pedal and expect to move like it’s a rally car. The lag on this engine is nearly non existent

04Ram2500Hemi

It's Just a Username
Reaction score
The dude went from sitting idle to full throttle. He didn’t experience lag, he experienced wheel spin and electronic correction. It’s a pickup truck with offroad tires; you can’t mash the pedal and expect to move like it’s a rally car. The lag on this engine is nearly non existent
2 things come to mind:
  1. Yes, he can/did experience Turbo Lag (I had the same thing with my Raptor)
  2. The TRX shoots off the line like a rally car with off road tires
What the OP experienced doesn’t make the Raptor a bad truck, it’s just a characteristic to be aware of.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2 things come to mind:
  1. Yes, he can/did experience Turbo Lag (I had the same thing with my Raptor)
  2. The TRX shoots off the line like a rally car with off road tires
What the OP experienced doesn’t make the Raptor a bad truck, it’s just a characteristic to be aware of.
The trx is full time awd isn’t it?

04Ram2500Hemi

It's Just a Username
Reaction score
The trx is full time awd isn’t it?
Yes it is.

https://moparinsiders.com/an-in-depth-look-at-the-2021-ram-1500-trxs-selectable-drive-modes/

Let’s start with the 4×4 system. Sending 702 horsepower to all four wheels of the TRX is a new BorgWarner 48-13 full-time active transfer case. That is right, no part-time system here, the TRX only feature a full-time 4×4 system. The 48-13 has been modified to feature upgraded internals for improved strength and durability.

The 48-13 allows the TRX to have four operating modes which include 4WD Auto, 4WD High (Locked), Neutral, and 4WD Low (Locked). So yes, that Ram TRX can be flat-towed while in the Neutral position, for those thinking about towing the vehicle being a large motorcoach.

Versamaxx

Reaction score
The other day was the first time I’ve ever fully went from sitting idle to full throttle, “pedal to the metal” and was shocked at how much lag time until it responded (with great power I might add). I’m glad I now know how much time to give myself the next time, because I was pulling out of a traffic jam and going into an unused offramp lane and saw a truck coming from behind but with plenty of space for me to get out in front so i thought I’ll punch it and be well in ahead, but when it seemed like forever to respond kinda scared me a bit cause I thought uh oh i didnt want to pull out in front of this guy. At the last second power kicked in and i was out in front with no problem. Is this normal to have a momentary non response, what can be done to make acceleration more responsive? I‘ve had this 2020 for year n a half and I’m not racing anybody so I guess not to important just curious though.
It’s turbo lag. No fixin that. A supercharger has no such lag. I’ve had both, turbocharged can feel very sluggish. Supercharged is ripping from the start!

element217

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to suggest the ONE other thing that it seems no one else commented about. He was at a complete standstill then hit the gas and it felt like awhile before it kicked in. Possibly the Auto Start/Stop had engaged and the motor had to basically turn back on. Super frustrating when you pull up to a stop sign with lots of traffic, come to a clean stop and the truck shuts down before you gun it to pull out into traffic.

tooloud10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s not turbo lag—the 3.5 HO has virtually none. It’s not wheelspin because that would be incredibly obvious.

The lag is from the throttle mapping in Normal drive mode. Sport mode makes the Raptor feel like a completely different vehicle, at the expense of fuel mileage.

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It’s not turbo lag—the 3.5 HO has virtually none. It’s not wheelspin because that would be incredibly obvious.

The lag is from the throttle mapping in Normal drive mode. Sport mode makes the Raptor feel like a completely different vehicle, at the expense of fuel mileage.
Probably add in some torque management too