7.3 Godzilla 790hp NA

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PorterW1111

FRF Addict
Reaction score
youre nuts- first of all, the limits to how you can mod an engine/drivetrain- almost any engine- are only your wallet & imagination.

what “could” you do to a 3.5 HO? Well you COULD punch it out to a 4.0, yank the whole top end/rotating assembly & swap for fully forged parts (if the crank isn’t already...think it is tho) can do more aggressive cam profiles, larger turbos, larger throttle body, an intake, downpipes, hi-flo cats or pull em, Bigger injectors, bigger fuel pump, higher volume ported oil pump, intercoolers, rads, you COULD add methanol or E85 comparability, you COULD add nitrous & either swap out for bigger/free flowing heads or have em ported etc etc etc

******** Volvo makes a factory four banger that’s turbocharged AND supercharged lol!

Why even bother comparing an extremely modified version of a N/A iron block HD truck engine to

So getting to the point i was trying to make from the beginning about comparing the 3.5 to the 7.3. (and to get back on the topic of the thread) let say someone did all of those things you mentioned, less nitro, what do you think the expected hp/tq output would be of this built 4.0, and how do you think it would compare against the same actions done to the 7.3. bolt for bolt "mod" for "mod" which motor is going to put out more?

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So getting to the point i was trying to make from the beginning about comparing the 3.5 to the 7.3. (and to get back on the topic of the thread) let say someone did all of those things you mentioned, less nitro, what do you think the expected hp/tq output would be of this built 4.0, and how do you think it would compare against the same actions done to the 7.3. bolt for bolt "mod" for "mod" which motor is going to put out more?

There is no replacement for displacement. All things equal - the bigger engine always make more power. Always.

The 7.3L in the video is heavily modded. Far beyond what Ford does with the 3.5L HO EB in my opinion.

He had solid mechanical lifters in that thing didn't he? You don't need to adjust the valves in a 3.5L HO EB. Don't forget it had no accessories as well. No water pump, nothing. And long tube headers. Of course it wasn't built to run n/a either, so who knows what a max effort OEM n/a version would look like.

Last edited:

letsgetthisdone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh really smarta$$? How bout the 6.4 Hemi? Ever heard of it? What’s the block made outta? (In both charger/challenger & truck duty)

How bout most (all?) GM ZZ big blocks....what’s the block made outta?

What about GMs also NEW 6.6 L8T gas engine for HD trucks, you got 3 guesses what the blocks made outta....

Crickets are loud this year.

now I’m surprised it is an AL block pushing that power & then a blower it’s gonna have to keep boost low, but isn’t really an issue when you got that kinda volume (blower included- said it was a 3L)

I’m editing while leaving the above- cuz ya couldn’t be more of an internet idiot- it is, in fact, an FE block construction according to ford authority- https://fordauthority.com/fmc/ford-motor-company-engines/ford-7-3l-godzilla-engine/

FE is not the element symbol for iron. It is Fe, as with all element symbols, the second letter is lower case. This is why you look dumb and the other guy thought you were talking about the old Ford FE big block engine family..

Additionally, OEM's typically choose iron for cost savings. A properly designed aluminum block is better than iron in every way, they're just more expensive.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
FE is not the element symbol for iron. It is Fe, as with all element symbols, the second letter is lower case. This is why you look dumb and the other guy thought you were talking about the old Ford FE big block engine family..

Hahaha. You are 100% right. I wanted to say the same- but didn't want to seem completely pedantic.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's running nearly 20 lbs of boost already. Please. The current 3.5L is destined for the scrap heap. More displacement using gas, or less displacement and electric will be the direction.

More baseless ******** as always. Clearly you don’t understand that boost is a function of airflow, it does not determine the maximum power output of an engine. It must be truly miserable to wake up every day with an inferiority complex as bad as yours, it’s downright sad. The 2021 and beyond 3.5 PowerBoost is the current 3.5 and will be used well into the mid 2020s; calling it “destined for the scrap heap” only reinforces your ignorance warped perspectives.

You can call this 3.5L EB engine "not a Cyclone" all you want. It's still has roots in that engine design. That's like saying the Coyote engine is no longer a mod motor.

You can live in your own ignorance all you want, but it doesn’t change the facts. Sharing certain dimensions for tooling reasons does not make 2 engines the same.. And no, the Coyote is not a “mod motor” in the sense you’re claiming it is. It’s a modular architecture, but shares nothing with the 4.6/5.4 engines that preceded it aside from bore spacing.

Edit: Dropped by the SHO forum and guess what is at the top of the forum today? Someone is dropping a crank from a Gen 2 HO EB engine into a Gen 1 3.5L EB engine. It will take a few minor Gen 2 parts to make the crank work (balancer and bolt, sprocket), so it's not 100% plug and play, but it's essentially the same crank. They don't even have to change the bearings.

https://shoforum.com/index.php?threads/raptor-crank-in-a-sho.141402/

It fits because they used the same plant to build the engines, and therefore certain dimension and spacing specifications were carried over to minimalize tooling costs. Nothing to do with them being the “same engine”. They are modifying the crankshafts to get them to fit; the crank snouts are different and Gen 1 uses a completely different timing drive than a Gen 2. But you knew that already, because you claim to know everything about EcoBoost engines even though all you despise them so much for making your 6.2 a dinosaur.

Same goes for the Coyote. Guys are using the 5.0L cranks in the 4.6L engine builds.

Once again, Ford kept the same bearing and journal dimensions; that doesn’t make it the “same engine”. Extensive machining work is required to adapt a Coyote crank to a 4.6 engine, you act like it’s a weekend DIY.

Clearly I know more about Ford's engine architectures and their evolution over the last 25 years than you do. I don't care if you are paid to turn wrenches for Ford or not.

Right. Says the guy that claims all V6 engines are the same. You “don’t care“ because you’re always wrong. You’re a keyboard warrior, all of the “facts” you claim to have are second hand from a google search; it’s pathetic. Don’t you get tired of being called out for posting misinformation all the time?

Last edited:

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
More baseless ******** as always. Clearly you don’t understand that boost is a function of airflow, it does not determine the maximum power output of an engine. It must be truly miserable to wake up every day with an inferiority complex as bad as yours, it’s downright sad.

I fully understand boost smart guy. I have turbocharged and supercharged cars. All have been modified and tuned by your personally. I know the engine does not run around at 20 psi of boost at all times. Get the **** down off your high horse.

You can live in your own ignorance all you want, but it doesn’t change the facts. Sharing certain dimensions for tooling reasons does not make 2 engines the same.. And no, the Coyote is not a “mod motor” in the sense you’re claiming it is. It’s a modular architecture, but shares nothing with the 4.6/5.4 engines that preceded it aside from bore spacing.

The Coyote IS a mod motor. Everything that makes the 5.0L engine what is it came from the 4.6L engine. "Aside form the bore spacing" Really? That a pretty big "aside" given it's completely unique and tiny bore spacing. The 5.0L has that same bore spacing because it's a mod motor. It's a modified 4.6L engine. Period. No, not everything is interchangeable. But it clearly is an evolution of the same engine. Neither the 3.5L Gen 2 EB or the 5.0L Coyote is a clean sheet design like the 7.3L is.

It fits because they used the same plant to build the engines, and therefore certain dimension and spacing specifications were carried over to minimalize tooling costs. Nothing to do with them being the “same engine”. They are modifying the crankshafts to get them to fit; the crank snouts are different and Gen 1 uses a completely different timing drive than a Gen 2. But you knew that already, because you claim to know everything about EcoBoost engines even though all you despise them so much for making your 6.2 a dinosaur.

OMG different timing competents! Well, based on THAT overwhelming evidence- surely they are clean sheet designs that have NOTHING in common and one certainly did NOT derive from the other.

Once again, Ford kept the same bearing and journal dimensions; that doesn’t make it the “same engine”. Extensive machining work is required to adapt a Coyote crank to a 4.6 engine, you act like it’s a weekend DIY.

Not that extensive. I know exactly what needs to be done. 4.6L forged Kellogg cranks ain't hanging off trees in these parts. We have to use the new stuff since Ford has stopped producing the older parts.

Right. Says the guy that claims all V6 engines are the same. You “don’t care“ because you’re always wrong. Don’t you get tired of being called out for posting misinformation all the time?

WTF are you taking about? When did I say that. Link please.

letsgetthisdone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The coyote was the next "evolution" of the mod motor family. The 6.2 is also kind of a mod motor cousin; while not listed in the mod family by Ford, it does share design elements.

The ecoboost stuff is an evolution of the duratec family with turbo's and DI added. Ford hasn't produced a clean slate engine besides this new 7.3 in like 20-25 years.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The coyote was the next "evolution" of the mod motor family. The 6.2 is also kind of a mod motor cousin; while not listed in the mod family by Ford, it does share design elements.

The ecoboost stuff is an evolution of the duratec family with turbo's and DI added. Ford hasn't produced a clean slate engine besides this new 7.3 in like 20-25 years.

Someone knows Ford engines.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I fully understand boost smart guy. I have turbocharged and supercharged cars. All have been modified and tuned by your personally. I know the engine does not run around at 20 psi of boost at all times. Get the **** down off your high horse.

Your statement that an engine that is “running 20lbs of boost already is destined for the scrap heap” says otherwise.

The Coyote IS a mod motor. Everything that makes the 5.0L engine what is it came from the 4.6L engine. "Aside form the bore spacing" Really? That a pretty big "aside" given it's completely unique and tiny bore spacing. The 5.0L has that same bore spacing because it's a mod motor. It's a modified 4.6L engine. Period. No, not everything is interchangeable. But it clearly is an evolution of the same engine. Neither the 3.5L Gen 2 EB or the 5.0L Coyote is a clean sheet design like the 7.3L is.

The fact that you think a 5.0 is a modified 4.6 explains a lot. They share nothing other than bore spacing and deck height so that they could be built on the existing assembly lines. Claiming one engine is the same as another because you can machine a part in make it fit is ridiculous.

OMG different timing competents! Well, based on THAT overwhelming evidence- surely they are clean sheet designs that have NOTHING in common and one certainly did NOT derive from the other.

Surely you must have some inside information to back up that assertion then? Of course you don’t, you rely on Google and grasp at straws by finding instances of people attempting to modify parts to fit other engines.

WTF are you taking about? When did I say that. Link please.

I’m not going to dig through your old posts, which are just as ridiculous as your current ones. It was the same thread where you claimed that V6s were not used in performance applications or trucks and were only good for FWD cars. Your statements were comical at best.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Incorrect. The 2.7/3.0 Nano was a clean slate design. Gen 2 EcoBoost was engineered using many of the features found on the Nano, including low friction RFF valvetrain, separate timing chains on each cylinder bank, variable displacement oil pump, etc. The top end of the Gen 2 3.5 shares nothing with the Duratec, which is a DAMB design.