7.3 zilla in gen 2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I linked the video where Revan Evan weighed the engine and if he isn't a reliable source, I'm not sure who is..

They are also saying the bellhousing pattern is the same as the rest of the modular engines so any 5.0L/5.4L/6.2L transmission will work

Ford performance says right in the description of the engine that with forged internals its a solid value and base for any performance platform including forced induction.

We all know factory engines aren't designed to do the things people do to them, but from the videos and stories I've been following, it is.. this seems to be the best swap for big block performance and value for the future..

In case you don't know Evan Smith:
Over a 20-year tenure, Evan served as associate editor, technical editor and editor-in-chief for Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords magazine/Mustang-360.com (along with group content director for Muscle Mustangs and Mustang Monthly magazines)
SEMA member
Evan has produced and stared in hundreds of car-related videos
Evan has thousands of published articles to his credit, covering all aspects of the automotive hobby including human-interest features, technical “how-to” articles, event coverage, and much more.
Multiple television appearances including: NHRA Today, NHRA Heat, Fox 5 News (New York) and ESPN’s Cold Pizza, and most recently ‘Burndown Battle’ which appeared on Fox Sports, where Evan coached an amateur drag race driver in a late-model Ford Mustang all-out race car to compete against a professional racer.
Evan worked at the famous Englishtown Raceway Park for six years, while attending Montclair State University.

Last edited:

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have a question. whats the total hp/tq outputs you can safely get with each motor? i would think at some point the 3.5 peaks out before the rest just due to size? and then the power to weight ratio would become a factor? i dont know enough about it, but just based on history, higher displacement will net more power. just curious if the 7.3 overcomes the weight ratio with higher numbers?

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i have a question. whats the total hp/tq outputs you can safely get with each motor? i would think at some point the 3.5 peaks out before the rest just due to size? and then the power to weight ratio would become a factor? i dont know enough about it, but just based on history, higher displacement will net more power. just curious if the 7.3 overcomes the weight ratio with higher numbers?
There's no replacement for displacement.. There's guys getting 3000hp from custom turbo viper engines, that can be street driven.. it's all about how much can be stuffed in the engine..

I would think 800hp is the limit for a custom built ecoboost.. but probably 1500hp for a similar built 7.3 with the supporting upgrades to run 30psi of boost..

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's no replacement for displacement.. There's guys getting 3000hp from custom turbo viper engines, that can be street driven.. it's all about how much can be stuffed in the engine..

I would think 800hp is the limit for a custom built ecoboost.. but probably 1300hp for a similar built 7.3 with the supporting upgrades to run 30psi of boost..
so going off of (guestimated) racing math, above 200mph it takes 1 hp to go 1mph more. so its almost the same hp numbers for someone just adding a motor and blower and nothing else. at which point as much as i dont like the ecoboost, it would seem a better option due to weight in the front end like @FordTechOne stated. however for those that want stupid hp numbers, then the 7.3 is the way to go. but what about the predator or voodoo motor?

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
so going off of (guestimated) racing math, above 200mph it takes 1 hp to go 1mph more. so its almost the same hp numbers for someone just adding a motor and blower and nothing else. at which point as much as i dont like the ecoboost, it would seem a better option due to weight in the front end like @FordTechOne stated. however for those that want stupid hp numbers, then the 7.3 is the way to go. but what about the predator or voodoo motor?

The difference is 80lbs and 250hp in the raptoR so while trucks already have an unfavorable weight bias, doesn't really seem to matter much in these off road trucks. Maybe they would have worked harder to move the engine back further if it did..

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like your source may need a new scale. Here’s the numbers directly from the manufacturer, without FEAD components:

3.5 HO: 416.7lbs
5.0: 453lbs
5.2 S/C: 536lbs
7.3: 580lbs

Add a supercharger to the 7.3 and you’re close to or over 700lbs. With internals not designed for any amount of boost and a bellhousing pattern that does not fit an F-150. Just because it looks like an LS doesn’t mean it serves the same purpose.
The weight spec I found for the 6.2L is 580lbs..