7.3 zilla in gen 2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Why the hatred for V8's and cast iron?

Serioulsy wanting a discussion with this
Hatred? No. It has nothing to do with cylinder count. The Raptor R is a beast and should prove to be one of the fastest production trucks to ever run the Baja. The 5.2 S/C is a pinnacle of performance in the Raptor.

The 7.3 is slow and heavy. Cast iron engines are anvils when you’re running high speed off road. The 7.3 weighs the same as the old 6.2 but at least it has slightly more power and much improved low end torque. Never mind more serviceable in chassis. But it’s still not an engine you’d want in a truck designed to be fast and get airborne. Hence why it’s used in Super Duty and not F-150 and especially not Raptor or Raptor R.

Last edited:

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
He loses all credibility with that statement. Let’s see his custom 7.3 swap win at Le Mans. Or even the Baja. :insane:

I love the 3.5 as much as anyone, but don’t forget that fe block Ford pushrod motors have taken more victories at Le Mans than the 3.5 has. :insane:

I also see lots of guys making great power with the 7.3 lately both n/a and with FI. With that said, for some reason I thought it was an aluminum block. So I do agree with you it’s not the best application for the Raptor. I still think it’s a cool build nevertheless.

MurderedOutSVT

Brodozin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hatred? No. It has nothing to do with cylinder count. The Raptor R is a beast and should prove to be one of the fastest production trucks to ever run the Baja. The 5.2 S/C is a pinnacle of performance in the Raptor.

The 7.3 is slow and heavy. Cast iron engines are anvils when you’re running high speed off road. The 7.3 weighs the same as the old 6.2 but at least it has slightly more power and much improved low end torque. Never mind more serviceable in chassis. But it’s still not an engine you’d want in a truck designed to be fast and get airborne. Hence why it’s used in Super Duty and not F-150 and especially not Raptor or Raptor R.
Fair enough! Agreed

GWBush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He loses all credibility with that statement. Let’s see his custom 7.3 swap win at Le Mans. Or even the Baja. :insane:

It’s typical of a show truck, it exists for nothing more than to draw attention. I didn’t see anything mentioning internal
engine upgrades that will reliability support 1000HP out of an engine designed for ~430.

The 10R140 is also massive overkill for an F-150; I also like that he said it’s out of a “full size truck” lol. Guy needs to get a clue, an F-150 is a full size. The powertrain is out of a class 2B HD truck. Which is exactly the opposite of what should be in a baja truck like the Raptor. He needed a transmission to bolt up to a 7.3 so that’s what they settled for.

What they ended up with is a vehicle that meets none of the criteria of a Raptor with it’s 800lb cast iron/aftermarket supercharged engine and a 350lb transmission designed to tow 40k lbs, not shift like a DCT.

Raptor R would humiliate this concept vehicle with a massive cost advantage and factory price warranty. It’s interesting but it has no purpose to exist.
So you like it or not? Can’t tell.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think this is the best swap into a raptor..

the price is right, the performance is great, easily attainable thru Ford, and is being integrated with drive modes still working like factory..

The raptor R may perform slightly better but it's basically going to be unattainable with limited production and high dealer mark up.. seems like a no brainer..

this is what all raptors should aspire to sound like...

Last edited:

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i just read the dry weight between the 5.2 crate engine and the 7.3 crate engines... theres a 2lbs difference..
(536lbs vs. 538lbs)

now once a supercharger is added to the 7.3 im sure it'll be more than 2lbs heavier.. so i guess that aluminum vs iron block doesn't make much difference now...

and for comparison 3.5 ecoboost weight is coming in at 449lbs...

Last edited:

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i just read the dry weight between the 5.2 crate engine and the 7.3 crate engines... theres a 2lbs difference..
(536lbs vs. 538lbs)

now once a supercharger is added to the 7.3 im sure it'll be more than 2lbs heavier.. so i guess that aluminum vs iron block doesn't make much difference now...

and for comparison 3.5 ecoboost weight is coming in at 449lbs...

Sounds like your source may need a new scale. Here’s the numbers directly from the manufacturer, without FEAD components:

3.5 HO: 416.7lbs
5.0: 453lbs
5.2 S/C: 536lbs
7.3: 580lbs

Add a supercharger to the 7.3 and you’re close to or over 700lbs. With internals not designed for any amount of boost and a bellhousing pattern that does not fit an F-150. Just because it looks like an LS doesn’t mean it serves the same purpose.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I love the 3.5 as much as anyone, but don’t forget that fe block Ford pushrod motors have taken more victories at Le Mans than the 3.5 has. :insane:

I also see lots of guys making great power with the 7.3 lately both n/a and with FI. With that said, for some reason I thought it was an aluminum block. So I do agree with you it’s not the best application for the Raptor. I still think it’s a cool build nevertheless.
Well that is over half a century ago of course, so not exactly a direct comparison.

The new 7.3 is the best gas engine Super Duty/E-Series/F53 has have ever had. It’s a compact package (especially compared to the old SOHC 6.2) with great HP and low end torque, and it’s just as or more efficient. That being said it’s not an LS by any means, it’s very heavy and was never intended for a performance application. The aftermarket seems to be embracing it, but with that much weight I think it will be limited more to old BB swaps than people “upgrading” from a 3.5 GTDI or Coyote to a 7.3.