6.2 mpg

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Floppy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 1st 100 miles (160 km) was 6.6 mpg city. Flogged it a bit not much.but alot of start/stops. I just drove 350 miles home from the city and recalculated at 4 different speeds for 30 mins each time with cruise control on.
50 mph - 19 mpg
55 mph - 18
60 mph - 16
65 mph - 14
the truck now has 1000km on it.(600 miles)

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
My 1st 100 miles (160 km) was 6.6 mpg city. Flogged it a bit not much.but alot of start/stops. I just drove 350 miles home from the city and recalculated at 4 different speeds for 30 mins each time with cruise control on.
50 mph - 19 mpg
55 mph - 18
60 mph - 16
65 mph - 14
the truck now has 1000km on it.(600 miles)

Thanks for the update!! I guess all that talk of the 6.2 getting the same as the 5.4 doesn't hold any water.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the update!! I guess all that talk of the 6.2 getting the same as the 5.4 doesn't hold any water.

Huh? Not sure what you mean by that Will.

Truth-715805.jpg

GTS RAPTOR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My first day in the Raptor I was getting 6.2 mpg average, yeah I was enjoying it!:racing:
The second and third day it went up to 10.4 mph average, mostly city driving though.
Today I put about 80 miles on it, about 60 miles were highway driving running about 70 mph, mpg average got up to 11.6, but then when I got close back to home mpg average dropped to 11.2 because I got in it a few times.:mrgreen: I only have about 415 miles on the truck so far.

Raptor1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am still on the first tank, I have been taking it easy and the average is 11.4mpg, next week I am taking a road trip, I will report then. I will tell you this, this is the best truck I have ever owned!! It rides better than my wifes luxury sedan. It feels like driving a simulator(that is good). I have not yet flogged it,but it has great accelleration.(look at my avatar I am used to driving extremely fast vehicles).

Floppy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm down to 60 miles left on tank #3. The mileage meter is reading 17L/100km for mixed driving, equal city / highway. Equals 13.84 mpg. On an engine that's not broke in much yet, that's pretty damn good.

Falcon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Motor break in and fuel efficiency

OK, time for one of Falcon's stupid questions.

A long long time ago, when I was a boy... all the "Motor Heads" including my Dad would tell you that when you break in a new motor... you should "Break it in like you are going to drive it." IOW, if you want it to run hard, break it in hard.

As I grew up and worked with auto and aircraft engines... I started to realize that may be a lot of BS. The arguments of "Seating the rings" and the like didn't make much sense.

My question is this: What IS the best way to break in a new motor? I have researched it, and found as many opinions as carter has little liver pills. Do you break it in with kid gloves? Do you just drive it as you will normally drive it? Does it make any difference at all? So many questions... so little knowledge in my bean <G>.

My natural inclination is to just use it like normal... for example, I bought a REAL nice Martin guitar in 1976. I played the hell out of it, usually put it in it's case unless a hound dog was sleeping in it (True story). I know guys that bought that same guitar at the same time, and put a hanky over the top every time before they played it. They wouldn't take it to festivals because in might get scratched. Me, on the other hand... took it everywhere with me, on every ship and around the world twice. Played the dickens out of it, and had more fun than they will ever have with their instrument.

So... how DO you break in a Boss 6.2L engine? Will the way you break it in have any effect on Fuel Efficiency? I would really like to know before I get that call to come and pick it up - and I trust the opinions of the guys on this board.

Falcon

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
I always go by what the owner's manual says. I figure that they put it in there for a reason. These days, break-in has a lot more to do with the drive train (esp. the ring and pinion wearing in together) than the engine. The rings they use these days seat right away.

SuperRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have always thought that the best way to break in engines was to make sure and do plenty of heating/cooling cycles. I've always ran my gas motors like this during break in. 0-200 miles not over (around) 2000 rpm, then 300 miles go to 3,000, 400 go to 4,000, then @ 500 I let her rip making sure to do plenty pulls up to around 5k then letting the motor wind itself back down while holding the gear. I also make sure to change change my oil @ around 750 miles. In the last 10 years or so I've broken in 6 new car engines (3 diesels and 3 gas motors) and never had any problems out of any concerning actual moving motor parts. FWIW I've always had good strong running engines in all my vehicles compared to others it seems like, which could also be from the great maintenance schedules I adhere to. This is just what works for me, breaking in an engine will get you hundreds of different opinions.