Nightmare project: 6.2 dipstick tube replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TurboAg

Reaction score
My dipstick tube was cracked at the mounting bracket. I figured it would be a straightforward project. Pull the old one out and push the new one in, right? Ordered the factory replacement.

Old tube would not budge. Took 3 to 4 hours to remove. Figured that was at least the hard part. Nope. New tube is impossible to get down to the block.

I ended up trying to create my own temporary flexible tube but that didn't work. Probably would have just melted anyway because the dipstick tube practically touches the exhaust manifold.

After spending most of the weekend on this I figured I'd at least be able to pretty easily plug the hole by cutting and capping the end of the new dipstick to buy time. Wrong! Wouldn't seat like the old one. I was at least able to get the O ring down enough to hopefully keep oil in and everything else out.

Some other threads mention Lokar flexible dipstick tubes but they don't seem to make something for the 6.2. Could someone please share their experience or advice? Which Lokar product? Are there any flexible dipstick tubes made for the 6.2? How did you get the new tube seated to the block?

I recently replaced the molded lead frame in the transmission and that was a piece of cake compared to this.

Jhollowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine broke at the same location. I’ve heard you have to loosen the motor mount and jack up the motor I made a sleeve that fits on the ID and spliced the 2 pieces together and covered it with RTV. Seems to be working for now

Ricoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine broke at the same location. I’ve heard you have to loosen the motor mount and jack up the motor I made a sleeve that fits on the ID and spliced the 2 pieces together and covered it with RTV. Seems to be working for now
After reading this thread im going to be very careful checking my oil from now on..
Jack up motor.. Forget vehicle make but back in 70's there was one you had remove engine to do a tune up..couldnt get to half the plugs...Although ive heard changing plugs on our Raptors is a drama too...Id not looking forward to it...but still got 30k to go..

OP
OP
TurboAg

TurboAg

Reaction score
You are wiser than me.

Loosen motor mounts and jacking the engine sounds both not too bad and intimidating at the same time. I saw the mount in the top right of this image. So would you just loose those two bolts that are oriented down? I could probably get to those with an impact and a swivel extension. Then where do you jack the engine? When you let it down do you just torque the bolts back to spec? It kind of makes sense if you could just get a couple more inches.

Still not sure I could get the new tube properly seated in the block

Attachments

• s-l1200.jpg
    s-l1200.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Jhollowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure on where and how to jack the engine. I envision a hose or wire snapping as i jack the engine

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
mine went pretty easy, however i am hard on my truck and it broke before 100k miles. it was a little diffilcut to get the old tube out but it eventually came. part of mine was still in there so i got a very long threaded rod and tapped the piece then threaded the rod in. put a socket through the rod and used a nut to cap it off. home made slide hammer. 3 hits and it was out.

OP
OP
TurboAg

TurboAg

Reaction score
mine went pretty easy, however i am hard on my truck and it broke before 100k miles. it was a little diffilcut to get the old tube out but it eventually came. part of mine was still in there so i got a very long threaded rod and tapped the piece then threaded the rod in. put a socket through the rod and used a nut to cap it off. home made slide hammer. 3 hits and it was out.
How did you get the new one in?