Nightmare project: 6.2 dipstick tube replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It should be a press fit, so you'd be smart to freeze the dipstick before you try to put it in the block.

I'd put it in the freezer initally- then hit the end with some canned air (dispensed upsidedown as a liquid) right before I try to put it in.

If it still won't go, hit it with some emery cloth to reduce the OD a bit, polish up the end, freeze it and try again.

rschap1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not sure how similar, but when wife got her '11 Expedition 5.4.
Tube was broke off at block and no dipstick.
I tried to get the end out with an EZ out.
Seemed like I was getting close, then heard "plink".
Yep, dropped in.
Spent better part of an afternoon trying to fish it out.
Tried all kinds of stuff.
Magnets through the drain, flushing it through, ended up unable to get out.
Got magnetic drain plug and put a BIG round magnet on outside, lowest part of pan.
FINALLY earlier this spring when changing oil (a couple years later), oil wasn't flowing out of the drain well, and could see something...the broken piece made it out FINALLY.
So, while I don't have much advice, I will say BE CAREFUL with the broken part !!!

itsrichierich

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went with the Lokar one, totally happy with it.

It isn't made for the 6.2L but the one that is mentioned in the thread fits our application no problem. You just have to buy a longer dipstick and cut it to length. 373053006_1992039174529167_3567117960718202703_n.jpg

jdm_sixtwo

11MPG is average, right?
Reaction score
Mine broke nearly flush with the block. I realized theres no way it would come out easily, so I got lots of JB Weld steelstik and used that around the old dipstick to hold it to the block, and then ran the JB weld up with stick just to make sure it wouldn’t break down there again. Been holding for 6 months now. Might add more steelstik later.