37" Tire Regrets?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DEGBTI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pretty much every car sold has a spare tire smaller than stock. They are used to get you home or the local tire shop. I dont see the difference with the Raptor.

I run bfg 37"s on my 2018. They are km2's. The look is amazing, but my next tire will be ko2's. They are lighter and a tad smaller. Do not run a toyo/nito 37. They weigh a ton and you can feel it big time. my 2 cents

OP
OP
J

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pretty much every car sold has a spare tire smaller than stock. They are used to get you home or the local tire shop. I dont see the difference with the Raptor.

I run bfg 37"s on my 2018. They are km2's. The look is amazing, but my next tire will be ko2's. They are lighter and a tad smaller. Do not run a toyo/nito 37. They weigh a ton and you can feel it big time. my 2 cents
I really appreciate the input. I have done a ton of research over the past day or two and came to the conclusion that the KO2 is probably the best option due to weight, ride characteristics, longevity, etc..., but just wanted to confirm.

sfadchi

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Pics of your set up?

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score

any vehicle with awd, locking diffs, LSD, etc will not be happy with mismatched tires.

I would not run a mismatched tire on the front of my raptor with the torsen diff.

I had a Subaru with somewhat different sized tires, and I never carried a spare because I wouldn't run it anyway, for fear of damaging the drivetrain.

Even on an open diff vehicle, I wouldn't drive very far on a mismatched tire.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just FYI the rear diff is open (unless you have the locker on) so no damage would be done there with a 37 and a 35 on the rear. You would want to turn the traction control off if you used the spare. Because with the varied rotation speed of that one tire the truck may think that's wheel spin and apply brake to that wheel.

If I remember correctly you have the 802A package so your front diff is a Torsen. This could be an issue with 2 different tires. He is the explanation of how the Torsen diff works:

"The locking differential is useful for serious off-road vehicles. ... The Torsen (from Torque Sensing) works as an open differential when the amount of torque going to each wheel is equal. As soon as one wheel starts to lose traction, the difference in torque causes the gears in the Torsen differential to bind together."

Yep and you can also disengage 4wd/4auto all together and keep it in 2H which unlocks the front hubs. Stick the mismatched tire on the front and you'll be good.

OP
OP
J

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just FYI the rear diff is open (unless you have the locker on) so no damage would be done there with a 37 and a 35 on the rear. You would want to turn the traction control off if you used the spare. Because with the varied rotation speed of that one tire the truck may think that's wheel spin and apply brake to that wheel.

If I remember correctly you have the 802A package so your front diff is a Torsen. This could be an issue with 2 different tires. He is the explanation of how the Torsen diff works:

"The locking differential is useful for serious off-road vehicles. ... The Torsen (from Torque Sensing) works as an open differential when the amount of torque going to each wheel is equal. As soon as one wheel starts to lose traction, the difference in torque causes the gears in the Torsen differential to bind together."

802Avalanche

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stick with a lighter-than-stock wheel and the 37” BFG KO2 and the weight penalty will be minimal.

I had 35” Toyo MT on my last truck. The tires were amazing quality wise, but the weight penalty is HUGE.

As a frame of reference, when I returned from Raptor Assault, my own truck felt quicker on 37s with the tune than the Raptor Assault truck I drove. Granted, their trucks are seeing some severe service.

Also consider that if you're not thrilled you could always change your axle ratio later to offset the change in final drive ratio from taller tires.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
any vehicle with awd, locking diffs, LSD, etc will not be happy with mismatched tires.

I would not run a mismatched tire on the front of my raptor with the torsen diff.

I had a Subaru with somewhat different sized tires, and I never carried a spare because I wouldn't run it anyway, for fear of damaging the drivetrain.

You can safely run a mismatched tire up front if you're in 2H. 2H unlocks the front hubs which means the wheels rotate freely, independent of what type of diff is up front.

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Do you also only drive your vehicles in a straight line? Turning an 4WD vehicle is far more stressful on the drivetrain than 6% difference in tire size.

Crash33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had 37' Nittos and they looked awesome, but some performance was lost and they felt heavy. I had no rubbing issues on mid-perch and factory wheels. I wouldn't say I beat the crap out of my truck, but I've definitely done some fast runs over whoops and had air under the tires without issues. I went back to 35's because I got some BFG's cheap and I got the performance back, but I have a set of 37's waiting to go on again sitting in the garage.