37" Tire Regrets?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just had Geiser and Deaver+3 springs installed, so I am now looking at 37" tires. Is there anybody out there that regretting jumping from a 35" tire to 37s? I am also closely looking at the weight of the 37" tires and worried about some highly rated tires (Nitto Ridge Grappler, Toyo Open Country RT) because they weigh about 10 pounds more than the KO2s. I have an MPT tune and would not consider myself a speed demon, but I also do not want the truck to start driving like stock again. The Goodyear Wrangler MT/R is less than two pounds heavier than the KO2s, so I am considering them, but not sure how well they will wear, sound, and perform for mostly street use. Thoughts?

OP
OP
J

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Consider your spare when going to 37's.... I rarely see that mentioned

Good point. Is it possible to easily fit a 37" tire in the spare tire location? I'm assuming the answer is no. If that is the case, how bad would it be if I kept the 35" tire as a spare and only used it in an emergency just to get to a tire shop? Is that a definite "don't do"? If fitting a 37" tire under the truck and/or using a 35" tire in an emergency situation is not possible, then I might just remove the spare all together and just call a tow truck if something happens.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
you'll find that a 37" spare, under the bed, is a little counterproductive as it rubs on the differential cover.

if you drive your truck hard offroad, the only tires you have a shot of fitting without rubbing are the bfgs.

OP
OP
J

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you'll find that a 37" spare, under the bed, is a little counterproductive as it rubs on the differential cover.

if you drive your truck hard offroad, the only tires you have a shot of fitting without rubbing are the bfgs.

Thanks. I will keep the 35" as a spare and obviously only use it in an emergency situation for a very short period of time. Hopefully that won't cause any major drive train issues.

Sano Dano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my third set of 37's, 2011 with 130,000 miles, 30K off road...…. No regrets, the only thing I feel is needed for off road use is for lower gearing!

03'Darin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just FYI the rear diff is open (unless you have the locker on) so no damage would be done there with a 37 and a 35 on the rear. You would want to turn the traction control off if you used the spare. Because with the varied rotation speed of that one tire the truck may think that's wheel spin and apply brake to that wheel.

If I remember correctly you have the 802A package so your front diff is a Torsen. This could be an issue with 2 different tires. He is the explanation of how the Torsen diff works:

"The locking differential is useful for serious off-road vehicles. ... The Torsen (from Torque Sensing) works as an open differential when the amount of torque going to each wheel is equal. As soon as one wheel starts to lose traction, the difference in torque causes the gears in the Torsen differential to bind together."

Last edited:

mmayo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not sure what size wheel you're wanting to use but the LT325/60R20 Nitto Ridge Grappler is just under 70lbs, 11lbs lighter than the 37". It's listed @ 35.35" while the 37" is listed at 36.77"

This is the Tire Apollo Optics is running & what I've considered if I go w/ the +3 Deavers

OP
OP
J

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not sure what size wheel you're wanting to use but the LT325/60R20 Nitto Ridge Grappler is just under 70lbs, 11lbs lighter than the 37". It's listed @ 35.35" while the 37" is listed at 36.77"

This is the Tire Apollo Optics is running & what I've considered if I go w/ the +3 Deavers
Thanks for the info. I really want the extra tire height, so I am planning on going with the 37" tire. I am curious as to how much of a performance effect the larger tire will have on it's own and then what impact the extra weight will have on top of that.