2nd Gen Ford Raptor vs Ram TRX

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stilldoggy

Reaction score
This is the SRT 10 all over again. Many more Lightnings on the road today and they still look(ed) a helluva lot cooler than a 1500 with bolt on parts. Engine be damned. Same with the TRX, it just looks bland. The Raptor wins out in styling hands down. I honestly think the TRX will be a flash in the pan when Fiat quality control issues surface. Price difference and bang for the buck weigh in favor of the Raptor too IMHO. TRX is a bad ass but until reliability and real world off road performance data starts hitting the internet I will be very happy with my sexy Blue Girl. Because we do realize that even though the TRX was MT truck of the year MT has also named the Mazda Navajo and Ridgeline as trucks of the year in the past....So MT award means zero to me.

Nesc204

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont care about 0 to 60 or quarter mile times. Just having exploding power to play with is fine with me. If I want to go win and compete in drag racing I buy a mustang. I prefer good old fashioned RELIABILITY. Raptors have proven themselves. DEFINITELY with my GEN 1 RELIABILITY is just AWESOME.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was thinking about that this morning. This may really be the last of a breed. A factory Supercharged V8 truck with maybe Ford doing a swan song similar truck because the electrics are coming and with the right range and durability, they are going to blow gas trucks out of the water.

I’ll miss the sound of a nice ICE engine, but it’ll be impossible to overlook a 500+ mile range and huge torque/power/acceleration of a multi-electric motor truck. Heck, the top Hummer EV coming is supposed to make 1000hp and doing 0-60mph in 3 flat. That’s insane.

except when you wanna charge it

or fix it (replace battery? $$$$$$$$)

or if you actually wanna use it as intended out in the wild - gonna bring a couple cans of electricity? Better yet- how bout brining an EV off-roading in northern Montana late January....what do you think happens to an EV when subjected to consistent single digit temps? Lol

EVs will continue to grow market share, but won’t be a majority of the market in my lifetime - I’m 40, take that to the bank

Non plug-in hybrids though? Going to be a helluva lot more common really quickly

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score

or if you actually wanna use it as intended out in the wild - gonna bring a couple cans of electricity? Better yet- how bout brining an EV off-roading in northern Montana late January....what do you think happens to an EV when subjected to consistent single digit temps? Lol

EVs will continue to grow market share, but won’t be a majority of the market in my lifetime - I’m 40, take that to the bank

Non plug-in hybrids though? Going to be a helluva lot more common really quickly

same thing for extremely hot weather.

There are a whole lotta miles between places that could support charging EV offroaders in Baja.

guess I'm gonna need to figure out how to build a trailer with some big diesel gennies on it so we can charge trucks down south.

Mike O

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Agreed. The infrastructure for the elimination, or VAST reduction of ICEs, is a few decades off, at best. Hybrids are the next natural part of the evolution of "motoring", not as much due to the technology, rather the infrastructure and the effect of crude oil on the global economy. Too many rich a-holes who are tied to the oil industry are in, or have been in power. Let's not forget the EV1...

JoeSC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Meh. My Raptor is older and looks better. Maybe I’m the only person on the planet who thinks this, but I like the interior more too.

It almost looks like they were inspired by the 458 (in shape, not materials but I’ll take it).

Would 700HP be great? Sure. But I could probably spend less than the price difference and get close if I really cared. I’m not drag racing a truck. It’s faster than my old Z and I normally drive it slower because I don’t have anything to prove.

The TRX is a badass truck for sure. But it wouldn’t exist with the Raptor. And like most Ford vehicles, the Raptor will outlive its competition.

DinduMcNugget

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I agree with this which is why it seems a little scary to me that California would force the issue of all EV by 2040 or whatever it is and that Ford suggested they would follow suit. I’d consider an EV for around town but the anxiety of driving that thing anything beyond its range makes it tough to justify buying one. I do think hybrids haven’t even had as much of a chance before they started shoving EVs at us. Even then hybrids are a few thousand more dollars than their non hybrid counter parts

Smokyray

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Raptor is the prototype, all others are copies.
The original Mustang has the same history. One needs to look no further than the TRXs tweaked numbers that are slightly better on paper to see it's a marketing ploy with the crosshairs directly on the Raptor.
Dodge has been doing this since the first 440 Magnum Challenger came out when I was a kid. Throw noise and HP at them and they'll buy it. Same old story..
I bought mine because I like how it looks, drives and it's Bad-A$$.

Nuff said...
:)

Last edited: