2018, Misfire and backfire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

magaraptor

Reaction score
Anyone else having issue with misfiring and backfiring? My 2018 raptor when you get in it lags misfiring and backfiring, I have 54k had it at Ford last week said it showed no codes they could not find anything wrong?
Any suggestions?

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
misfiring and back firing are 2 different things. which do you have?

On a high output turbo motor, back fire when you from wide open throttle to closed throttle is common. If you have any sort of free flow exhaust, it will be worse. A back fire in this condition is bad for the car. some guys even like it.

A misfire is totally different. You would feel that in the truck, not just hear it.

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@ 54K miles it's probably time for spark plugs. The gaps like to grow on these spark plugs. You could probably get away with regapping them to .028 But they only cost about $45 so I'd just replace them.

OP
OP
magaraptor

magaraptor

Reaction score
Thanks goblues for explaining the difference in backfiring an misfiring, as a owner of many supercharged mustangs, multiple Audi turbo cars an 2 raptors I really needed that explained, so tnx. Its misfiring and backfiring under heavy throttle conditions.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
betcha the fuel system is full of garbage.

when i had misfire issues, it was a clogged injector and a mucked up fuel rail.

Muath

Reaction score
Mine hesitates and back fires now. Seem it runs good after a cold start, only to find out it's still acting up once passes 2K RPM.

Started after me adding an octane booster on a full tank (which should be less than enough to become too much). Made me thinking she just doesn't like it. I added the booster cuz we don't have 93... And the 91 we have is more like 87 (on only 91, I feel it not being smooth).

As an attempt to balance octane up, I added a 1/4 of 87 on top of the 3/4s of a 91 (+ the octane booster that started it all) the car had already. Now it's sleeping hoping the ecu will figure things out. If not, spark plugs is next.

No check engine light. Climate is 100+. Only 3k miles on the clock.

If ur problem started after refilling the tank, bad fuel is most probable.

OP
OP
magaraptor

magaraptor

Reaction score
I only run 93 octane and have already change the plugs. At like quarter throttle it’s fine pulls hard when you put it on down to the floor Is when it starts missing and backfiring