6.2 What the hell do I do with....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
As big of a pita it was, I'd do it again. Especially since I know what to do now. Lol. I don't see how a shop charges so much for this. I'd do it for someone in my garage for a grand. I shouldn't admit this but it took me 30.8 working hours spread across 3 days.

---------- Post added at 10:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 PM ----------

Good job Zach! Can't believe you did it in your own. Did you get the locking bolts to work?

Yukon Joe
www.RUNRAPTORRUN.com

Some of them. I think I couldn't get to two of them. I'm gonna compile my lessons learned, the tips nick gave me, and corrections to the instructions in a thread for everyone. This was too extensive for me to do a complete write up on the first time.

NickPic83

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Kudos to you. At this point I wish I would have tried this myself. Again good job.

Yukon Joe
www.RUNRAPTORRUN.com

---------- Post added at 11:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 PM ----------

Also to add. I did have trouble with emissions in PA. I'll write more next week on how I got it to pass.

Yukon Joe
www.RUNRAPTORRUN.com

Interested in hearing your emission issue and solution. I'm subd

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I finally got the muffler switched around and on the right way. For some reason the inlet is 3" OD and the outlet on the y pipe is 3" OD. It made sense at the time to put it together how it fit. Got it flipped and the drone was still ridiculous. Got home and realized I forgot to tighten the turn down and it had fallen off at some point. Oops. I'll get a new video up when I get the chance.

OP
OP
Yukon Joe

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sorry for the loooooooooong overdue update. I wanted to ensure I had the right information before I provided a reply regarding the emissions inspection.

Here is the update:

During the installation of the headers by 5Star, they did not plug in the rear O2 sensors. As you guys know, the rear )2 sensor needs the supplied wire harness extension piece to be able to plug it in. This was in the bed of the truck in a bag with the locking bolts that they supposedly tried and didn't work. They did call and ask about the extension wire, but never told me they couldn't find it or that they never installed it….

So the truck was running without the rear O2 sensor plugged in on the 91 performance tune. From what I understand, the tune doesn’t use the rear O2 sensor and tricks (not sure of the right term) the computer module as if they are in working order. Also, during the installation, the battery is disconnected.

I took the truck in for inspection; unaware of the disconnected O2 sensor and that the disconnected batter would have reset the readiness codes. I had driven about 1000 miles from NC to Pittsburgh, where I was having the inspection completed. The truck was on 91 performance tune.
Before emissions testing can be completed for inspection, the vehicle readiness codes need to be set to “Ready” status. If your battery had been disconnected, the codes will be reset to "not ready” status. From what I understand, the 5star tune doesn't affect theses codes. There is a specific driving sequence that you have to do to get them to be in a "ready" status. It had nothing to do with how many miles you drive, but how you drive those miles.

My wife and I drove around for two days before Christmas with the scan tool connected to the truck and they kept saying "not ready". We had over 100 miles on the truck. RW started looking on the internet for possible solutions; she then found that some people had success following an obdii drive cycle for Ford trucks. Once we found enough highway to perform the drive cycle it started to clear the codes as we drove the way it recommended.

Things like speed up with 1/2 throttle up to 40 MPH, drive for 5 miles, coast down to 20 MPH with out making any sharp turns or hitting the brakes. Then speed up to 60 MPH with 3/4 throttle and drive for 5 more miles, then coast down to 20 MPH without making any sharp turns or hitting the brakes. You know how hard that is to do??? Lol…

Once the codes all said “pass” I took it in for PA state emissions and it passed. Afterwards, I put the 91 performance tune back on. Was glad to get the stock tune off and back to the performance.
Here is the drive cycle:

Ford Motor Company Driving Cycle

It was the only way I was able to reset the readiness codes to ready status after the installation and get the truck to pass emissions inspection.